It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
(male)

superattackpea HB User
second hand smoke and car fumes

I hope i'm just being a hypochondriac but i'll ask anyway.

today i rode in the passenger seat of a car with someone who smokes, he had either five or six cigarrettes total on the trip and i was wondering if this will cause me any permanent damage, im not sure if it makes any difference or not but we both had our windows down. i should also mention i'm asthmatic.

our destination was the praking lot outside a racecar track (settin up a booth for the military). we weren't around for the actual race but im still wondering how bad it was for my health being there for seven hours with exhaust fumes from the carts they use to transport people back and forth along with the many smokers passing by there.

any insight you can offer is greatly appreciated as well as any tips repair whatever might have been harmed. thank you

Old 08-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: second hand smoke and car fumes

I'm not sure what you mean by permanent damage other than perhaps wondering if it raises your risk of any diseases. Most likely not. And if you didn't have an attack while all this was going on, then I would think no also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
(male)

superattackpea HB User

i'm most concerned about any permanent damage to my lungs, such as the tar impairing my breathing and what not. I like to run and swim and the thought of not being able to breath as well affecting those activities doesn't sit well with me.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It sounds like your exposure was minimal - the second hand smoke from someone who smoked 5 cigarettes with the windows down would be negligible and your exposure to exhaust while being outside at the track would also be minimal.

The chances or there being any permanent damage are pretty much zero.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Honestly if you didn`t have an attack in the car you`re fine ....possibly a little stressed from the sounds of it. Have you ever been at a party or in an enclosed bar when people where smoking ...same thing as long as it`s not frequent exposure it shouldn`t be lasting .....

Old 08-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I agree with the others. If you didn't have asthma symptoms, during the drive, or at the race track, then the absence of symptoms should bring you some comfort.

I wish my asthma was that mild. If I come into contact with a smoker, hours after that person last smoked, just the hours-old smoke fumes, coming off of their hair, or clothes, brings on asthma symptoms. I could never work at a race track, even for a short time, as the exhaust fumes, and the fumes from spinning tires, would wreck havoc with my Asthma.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread