It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

mizcandula HB User
Unhappy Prednisone for Allergies cause Asthma?

Hi and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I cross posted this to the Allergy board, but was hoping someone here may be able to help as well.

I have had terrible allergies since I was 17 and it's been 11 years of misery. I've tried shots, Claritin, Zyrtec Rx, and most recently was on Allegra, which has stopped working. I was feeling pretty ill the last couple of days. I had shortness of breath which made it impossible to exercise, which I really want to do. I made an appt with my primary care dr and he prescribed 40mg of Prednisone for 5 days because my meds stopped working and my respiratory system had swelled. I was on Prednisone for a month in 2005 for a drug allergy, so I knew how much I despised Prednisone, but I figured I would give it a shot.

This is my second day and by noon and was having a lot of trouble breathing. asthma does run in my family, but I've never had such trouble breathing as I am having today. I am on OTC Zyrtec for allergies, but I'm pretty sure this isn't allergies, it's very different. I have a pain in my chest when breathing and am just finding it very hard to take a breath.

Do you think it could be the prednisone? I don't think it's an allergic reaction to it, because like I said, this isn't my first run in with this drug. However, I would love to hear what you think.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
(female)

bluedog139 HB User
Re: Prednisone for Allergies cause Asthma?

As I understand it, Prednisone and other steroids shut down the immune response so the body can better deal with things, inflammation wise anyway.

You could be having an allergic reaction to the Prednisone. Just because you didn't react before doesn't mean you won't at a later date. I have that problem with codeine. I used to be able to take it without any issues, but if I take it now my face gets all itchy.

If you can't breathe and are having problems you need to at least tell your doctor. If it gets bad you should go to the ER. Better safe than sorry.

hope that helps a little.
~blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Re: Prednisone for Allergies cause Asthma?

Asthmatics are regurarly given Prednisone for flare ups such as broncitus or phnemonia ........it`s not the cause of the flare ups its what helps us breath when nothing else does ...it opens our lungs up. So definatly get back to you`re doctor and find out if it`s an allergice reaction to the Prednisone !

Closed Thread