It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

myownmind HB User
Should I go back?

Okay, I decided I would try to join my schools rowing team. Yesterday was the first practice, we jsut kind of learned about the sport, and the facilities. Before we left the coach told us we would do a run at the begining of practice, just around campus. My asthma, not that in controll. I took my rescue before hand. It got prety bad on the run. I did what I always do, keep going no matter what. Yes I did hit the pavement, Yes I did meat the pack on the oppisite side of the course, Yes I did cough up mucas and blood, Yes I was in a lot of pain, and most importantly Yes I did know I shouldn't have run and that I should have stopped when the attack started instead of runing through it.

When I finaly got back to the room, we started some stretching, which of course I couldn't even settle down enough to bend. I ended up ducking out the door, I knew I was feeling realy week, and was at least going to fall over if not pass out, and I didn't want to do so in front of others. Once I felt well enough to stand and walk a little, I realized that my friend had my ID and keys in her bag(inside the rowing room) so I couldn't go back to my dorm till practice let out. l walked around the building, and waited just out side the main door to the rowing room.

I made a huge fool of myself, but should I try going back tomorow?

I would realy appreciate your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

momtobaby1 HB User
Re: Should I go back?

If you really, really do want to be on the rowing team then talk to the coach about this. Perhaps instead of the running you should be focusing on weight lifting. Be honest with your coach and tell him/her about your asthma. I'm sure it's not the first time they have had someone want to join a team of theirs who had asthma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Did you wait 15-20 minutes after using the inhaler to run? And did oyu use one or two puffs? That could be part of the problem. It takes that long for it to start working for cardio. You'll need it before rowing too. So, yes, talk with the coach and your asthma doc to get the proper regimen. I hope you are seeing a pulmonologist for the asthma.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It doesn't sound like your asthma is controlled enough for you to be doing this right now. If you really want to be on the team you should probably make an appointment with a pulmonologist to get on an asthma treatment program that will let you participate, and talk to the coach to explain what happened.

There are enough world-class athletes out there who have asthma that it definitely shouldn't keep you from being on the team but you need to have your asthma under better control than it sounds like it is.

Closed Thread