It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

Veronica7 HB User
Best inhaler? new hfa is making me worse

Was just prescribed one of the new hfa albuterol inhalers(Proair) and it made me so much worse, I thought I would have to go to the hospital. My breathing has never been so bad and it also gave me severe allergy symptoms.Has anyone had this problem with the hfa inhalers? Is there one that works better than the others? Does anyone know where to get the old Warrick brand of albuterol?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Best inhaler? new hfa is making me worse

I hate to be the one to tell you this but most manufacturers have quite making the ones with the old propellant. In fact, by law, they have to stop at the end of this year. You might call around to drug stores in your area and see if anyone has one left but it's highly unlikely. Only HFA propellant ones will be sold once the old ones are gone and 2009 begins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

snowdrift HB User

I think that sometimes albuterol inhalers can cause paradoxical bronchospasm, and that that is most likely to occur with the first use of a new canister. Perhaps that was what happened and not a problem with the hfa at all?

Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My local pharmacy is still selling the old version. I'd call around to see if you can find a pharmacy that still has them. I plan on getting a couple refills before the end of they year to help me through the winter.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

bluedog139 HB User

Depending on the price, you might want to see if you can get your rx written as a "do not substitute" for one of the other rescue inhalers like ProventilHFA, XopenexHFA and VentolinHFA. ProventilHFA seemed to work for me when I made the switch. I then switched to XopenexHFA when my insurance changed and the cost doubled. XopenexHFA is a preferred med and carries the lowest copay. Bonus is that it doesn't make me as shaky.

You could also try calling your insurance or doctor and seeing if they have any other suggestions.

Hope that gives you some options.
~blue

Closed Thread