It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
(female)

dippyme HB User
Can a little animal trigger asthma attacks ?

Ok it may sound silly but since my daughter has had her hamster I have been having bad asthma in the evenings again. Now i do know that animals can trigger allergies, but the thing is it is such a tiny russian hamster (I dont touch him or even look at him much !) he is in the living room in the evenings cos hes too noisy for her to keep in her room at night so he stays in the living room.
she cleans him out regulary but i wondered if it was the smell, even tho he gets cleaned out regularly he stinks and i think the amonia smell is effecting my asthma, could this be the case ? - it just seems strange that i havent needed my steroids for about 5 months but the past 3-4wks since shes had the hamster i keep using my ventolin esp at night and occasionally in the day, so think i should start using the steroids again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Can a little animal trigger asthma attacks ?

Yes, the hamster in the same room with you could trigger your asthma. In this case, size doesn't matter . Try keeping him somewhere else in the evening and see if it helps. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
(female)

dippyme HB User

Thanks rudiraven, will give it a try and see what happens - poor little hammy - he keeps getting moved out !!!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

It's usually the small animals feces(sp? Poop) that will trigger asthma problems ..so make sure the cage is changed frequently and you're not the one changing it ..we've had rabbits that do the same thing too..cute and cuddly and tiny but they can be deadly .......

Closed Thread