It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

Zaelormid HB User
Spasmastic Attack

Hi everyone, I'll just relay my story here and then ask my questions xD I apologize if it's a bit long.
I was born pretty premature, so naturally lung function was something to watch over the years. When I was about 4 I had 'reactive airways' to smoke from the fireplace. Apparently the inhalers didn't really help, but I was wheezing and coughing and everything. Never been to the hospital for it, however. It went away when I moved south at age 6, now 16 years old.
Last October (07) I began experiencing dypsnea (being out of breath), chest tightness/pressure, slight wheezing, and some coughing. It would get worse at night, and I would be winded walking up the stairs at school and such. It went away a bit about 2 months later, and I've now been experiencing similar symptoms for a few months.
I just saw the allergist on friday, and he diagnosed me with Exercise Induced Asthma because I was talking about how I would get out of breath during swim practice, (I'm pretty active) and walking up the stairs at school, but didn't talk as much about the daily, 24/7 symptoms because I couldn't remember the details as well. He gave me a ProAir HFA inhaler, put me on singulair, and gave me Patanase nasal spray for allergies. I've been keeping a Daily Symptoms Diary since friday, and it's really helped so far to pin point my symptoms xD.

What I'd like to know is:
About how long does it take to know if the medications are affective? I'm not sure if the inhaler is helping, and I have no idea if the Singulair even does anything. The Patanase I think is working though, but it'd be easier to tell if it was spring time when I get really watery eyes and runny nose. I know that the inhaler makes me shaky xD but I'm not sure if it's helping alleviate my symptoms.
Today the weather was rainy/stormy, dreary, and I couldn't stop coughing, and my chest hurts T.T. I used the inhaler like 9 times today, and it seemed to help a little, but I don't know how well because it didn't stop the coughing or make me breathe easy for very long, just a little. Today was the worst day I've had in a while, on the scale of 0-5 I'd say a 4, so if it were to seem affective, wouldn't this be the perfect time?

I did all of the tests at the allergy clinic and that one breathing test was hard to get right, but my scores were normal, but I have the symptoms of Asthma.. dypsnea, coughing, slight wheezing, sometimes I feel like I can't breathe or really get a good breath, it happens basically all day, seems to get worse at night, (but I don't wake up due to it) during certain weather, seasons, and due to strong smells, smoke, cleaners -> cause me to be unable to breathe. So I mean.. it would certainly seem to be asthma..?

Sorry for writing so much xD, thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread