It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
(male)

kade119 HB User
exercising - Asthma or something else?

Hi all,

i have been diagnosed w/ a hiatal hernia and gerd a while back and i'm taking prevacid - which my stomach is feeling better but now whenever i workout or run i my chest gets so tight and and very hard to breathe.. I've had asthma my whole life but usually wheezed and now no wheezing and good ranks on the peak flow meter, used a albuterol inhaler but really gave no relief after i used it and the tightness hangs around for hours after it starts.. i'm in my twenties .. this is strange, anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
(female)

songofsun2008 HB User
Re: exercising - Asthma or something else?

I've had asthma for most of my life now. However, it has been worse as I've gotten older. Something I found out recently is that heartburn is actually a trigger for the asthma. I took some acid reducer pills for a month and that seemed to help out some. I don't take any other medication than albuteral tablets, and only when I need to. I do however, drink Joggin in a Jug, which I prepare myself. Joggin in a Jug is a mixture of apple juice, grape juice, apple cider vinegar and local honey. I can provide the recipe if anyone is interested. I find that they key to living with asthma is exercise, my joggin in a jug and just treating an attack when it occurs. I walk 3 miles, 3 times a week and I also jog 3 miles, 3 times a week. Of course, depending on the frequency of the attacks, I have had to give in to long term treatment like clarinex and singular. However, those two meds, although effective, caused me to experience anxiety, sleep apnea and high anxiety, not to mention bizzare nightmares. I've been off the clarinex and singular for about a year now and feel so much better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

People with asthma generally should pre medicate with albuterol 15-20 minutes before any cardio. I do two puffs 20 minutes before I jog and I don't have any problems with breathing. You could start out with 1 puff about 15 minutes before and see if that works. If not, add the second puff next time.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
(male)

kade119 HB User

Do you both think this is asthma? it hangs around for hours after i'm done working out and i woke up this morning w/ my chest still feeling quite heavy and used the peak flow meter and still everything is in the green...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
(female)

songofsun2008 HB User

I meant to ask you if you have had your hernia repaired. I had a (inguinal) hernia years ago and had it repaired. Prior to having the hernia repaired, I experienced a heaviness in my chest, but I figured it was the asthma. The way my doctor explains the heaviness is that the acid that is associated with gurd, acid reflux, hernia, etc, triggers mild to moderate symptoms of asthma or simply breathing related difficulty. I don't always have wheezing, but I am short of breath, cough and I have post nasal drip. Like you I have had positive results with the peak flow meter, but this occurs even when I am at the hospital being treated for a full blown attack. So, to answer your question, yes I do think your heaviness is related to the asthma.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

maybe yes and maybe no. I am sure that some of it is gred related. Maybe if that was under control this would go away as well. What are your daily drug meds?

Closed Thread