It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
(male)

ekalexm HB User
Shortness of breath

hi all,

Over the last 2-3 months I have been experiencing shortness of breath. My problem started with a sore throat and the symptoms of a cold. A few days into the cold I awoke to find I was having difficulty fully inhaling and this has continued ever since.

The other cold-type symptoms - cough, runny nose, sore eyes, sneezing (two or three chronic bouts) - have gone and I'm left solely with the breathing problem. A chest-xray was undertaken and this showed no problems. Several peak flow tests were also undertaken, the results of which were conclusive that the inhaler was making a significant difference (around 40&#37. I have also had considerable excess mucus during this period.

I had allergies as a child and took a spincap inhaler between 7 and 13. However, I have never had asthma and had no breathing difficulties in my adult life until this point. I have been moved on to two preventative steroid inhalers for the next three weeks.

I'm still perplexed as to the root cause though. From the information I have given, do you think it is most likely to be asthma, allergies, or something else? Any advice or experiences at all would be gratefully appreciated.

I should also point out that I developed this problem shortly after I returned to swimming for the first time in years. Could it be related to that? Chlorine or other chemicals??

Warmest Regards,
Alex

Last edited by ekalexm; 10-27-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Forgot one sentence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Shortness of breath

It could be that the cold was a version of walking pneumonia. I had a case of it about 12 years ago and when I finally was well, I had asthma. Asthma can be caused by a pneumonia strain so that must have been what I had. Any illness that can damage the airways can cause it as well. The chlorine would most likely be an allergy and you'd have other symptoms.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
(male)

ekalexm HB User
Re: Shortness of breath

Thanks Titchou. It could very well be pneumonia related, that has crossed my mind. It has lingered for an unreasonable amount of time and the breathing thing just isn't going away. Only time will tell I suppose.

Closed Thread