Did I swallow something the wrong way or asthma?
At my gym they have a jar of breath freshner mints made of a powdery substance which I normally have 1 of as I work out. Today I had only just started exercising my arms while sucking on my mint when suddenly I couldn't breath at all. I managed to spit the mint out but I was wheezing really bad and couldn't draw any breath in at all. I honestly thought I was going to die on the gym floor. I also had trouble swallowing and could taste the mint which felt stuck in my throat even though I had spat it out.
It took a few minutes ( felt like about 10) before I was able to actually take a proper breath . Afterwards my lips were tingling a lot and I couldn't stop coughing and my breathing felt very shallow.
This feeling of not being able to draw in any breath has happened probably about 6 times over the last few years...mostly after sucking on a piece of chocolate ( trying to savour the taste), sometimes after taking a mouthful of water and sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up gasping for air.
I honestly never thought it could be asthma but todays gasping for breath on the gym floor frightened the heck out of me.
Could I just be swallowing the wrong way or could it be asthma?