It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Has anyone given up inhaled steroids & used Intal & ended up better?

Hi all! I don't think I've ever posted on this board before, but I just wanted to run something by you folks to see if anyone has had a similar situation. My 20 year old son had originally started on the Intal inhaler when he was 6 years old and hated using it, so it was stopped for a while. When he began to get to the point where we had to give him a rescue inhaler more frequently, he was put on Flovent 110 for many years. He was becoming very anxious and/or depressed in high school and I kept wondering if it might have been the inhaled steroid after being on it for so many years. Granted, anxiety and depression does run in the family, but no one else had my son's symptoms nor were they on asthma meds. He began going through more psychological changes between the ages of 17 and 20 and went off the steroids for a bit to see if he might really still need them. Depression persisted, but that could be because of the withdrawal of the inhaler. My question is this: Has anyone experienced persistent problems because of the inhaled steroids and eventually went to Intal and showed improvement mood-wise? I am praying all of the time that my son's issues have been contributed to by the steroids and by discontinuing they might turn around a bit. If it comes to pass that it is a major depressive issue, then I will accept what ever happens. My son's former psychiatrist did agree that some people do experience "roid rage" even from inhaled steroids, but I would like to see if this has happened to anyone or their children. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Has anyone given up inhaled steroids & used Intal & ended up better?

Sorry about what your son is going through. However, I have never heard of "roid rage" from using an inhaled corticosteriod, like Flovent. Corticosteroids are not the same as ANABOLIC steriods...the kind that are popular with bodybuilders and professional sports. Corticosteriods are anti-inflammatory steriods, and I have never heard of "roid rage" being associated in any way, with their use. Sorry, but I think your son's former psychiatrist is mistaken and frankly, uneducated on the differences between anabolic and catabolic sterioids.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

cmcameron HB User

I have been an asthmatic all my life and do not experience any symptoms of depression from inhaled steroids. In my opinion it isn't the steroids that is causing your son's depression. I would seriously look at his diet. There are many hidden side effects in processed food. Did his diet change throughout his teens? Teenagers tend to eat a lot of fast food - hamburgers and such.

There is a lot of information on the web regarding processed foods - refined sugers, white flour, trans fats, etc. Read up on it and talk with your son about changing his diet - give it two weeks.
Good Luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-12-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

CatAngel HB User

Is your son on anti-depresents? I didn't find out till I was 31 that I have bipolar but I also have asthma. I have been on inhailers since I was a
pre-teen. I don't think it could be the inhailers. If your worried, bring him to an allergist, they know more about asthma and the meds.
(=*.*=)CatAngel

Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
(female)

bluedog139 HB User

It could be the steroids. I had never had any issues with depression until one of my meds was changed. I had been on Advair250 for several years until my insurance changed and I couldn't afford it and switched to Asmanex 2x day and Foradil. After a while I started having problems and became suicidal. When the pdocs I saw said that steroids cause depression a light went on for me. (Every pdoc I've seen has brought up my asthma meds as part of the problem) I had also recently had several rounds of prednisone. I'm sure I was struggling emotionally before this while trying to deal with other health issues, but I believe it was the meds that helped to push me over the edge. So I'm now on antidepressants and doing my best with the help of my friends.

Talk to his doctors. Sometimes they dismiss things because they only look at one problem at a time. If your family has a history of depression, I would think that the medications could increase the risk of it surfacing.

Hope that helps,
~blue

Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
(female)

Eira1 HB User

My three year old was on inhaled steroids for six months and very quickly became more irritable and angry and less smiley. It coincided with terrible twos, starting preschool, winter, etc so it didn't occur to us to stop the steroids (he was only on the smallest amount of clenil so there was no obvious reason to suspect).

Then we recently took him off clenil and put him on intal (for reasons I won't go into now). Almost immediately he was brighter, more calm and easy-going. He has hit his older brother only a couple of times in the last week compared with several times a day! He is not the angry serious young child anymore and we are crossing our fingers that this is not just a coincidence.

Plus, so far there has been no worsening of his asthma.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
(female)

rosiebud1 HB User

Hi I do think there is a connection especially if you are prone to feeling low, after being on steroids inhaled and orally for 20 years I felt I was going round on a wheel getting nowhere feeling like I was drowning when walking, and not able to move, with my husbands help I moved away from inhaled and oral steroids and increased anti mould anti allergy and intal and serevent having multiple lung problems I have noticed my mood has improved , steroids are a major part of treatment so if there is any truth to the roid rage this will never be spoken of just in case it scares patients, i personally dont think roids are suited to me but im me ill since birth so my problems are mainly structural, perhaps look into increasing intal and a blood test for allergies and moulds like aspergillosis ?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I have a very strong family history of depression and I have not noticed any difference with the inhaled steroids. But you know what makes me really depressed? Not being able to breathe. I've never felt more helpless and miserable than when I went through a bad asthma flare up last year.

For me, the inhaled steroids improve my quality of life. For many of us, it is not a choice. However- there are different inhalers to chose from. Maybe he could try another brand.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
(female)

Jaydell6 HB User

Yes, I went to an MD who became a homeopathist due to her own asthma which was making it impossible for her to practice medicine. I have had asthma all my life and have been on every med they have. She turned my life around. Alas, she is now 85 and no longer practices. I was off of everything for years and very healthy. Twenty-five years forward, I'm having problems and going down the same old beaten path of dangerous meds. I'm searching for another miracle worker. There is hope.

Closed Thread