It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

jnlmom HB User
6 mo w/ Asthma- Too many meds??? Help!!!

My son has recently been diagnosed with asthma after a chest X-ray. He has had some night time coughing which has slowed up. To tell you the truth, I don't know if he was fighting a cold also. Anyways, my ped has him on Nasonex, Singulair, and Pulmicort. This seems like a lot of meds for a 6 month old. Since his symptoms are very mild, I think I should take him off at least two of the meds. My ped pretty much said I'll see you at his 9 month checkup and stick with the 3 meds. I am totally new to the world of asthma. I need some advice on which direction I need to go with this. I really don't know how severe it is. I was thinking about going to a pediatric allergist. I need some advice from asthma veterans. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 6 mo w/ Asthma- Too many meds??? Help!!!

Actually, you need a pediatric pulmonologist, not an allergist, for asthma. Unless, it is allergy induced asthma, but you didn't say that, so I'd try the pulmonologist first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: 6 mo w/ Asthma- Too many meds??? Help!!!

It is very difficult (and a little unusual) for a 6 month old to be so definitively diagnosed with asthma (because a child that young can't take a lung function test), and it's not unusual for infants to occasionally wheeze and cough if they have a virus.

I would definitely recommend that you try to see a pediatric pulmonologist for a second opinion.

Closed Thread