It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Unhappy Nervous to go outside into the cold

My asthma was flared up from June-September because of irritation from acid reflux. After surgery, I spent two entire months without asthma symptoms. It was a "miracle" for me.

At the beginning of December, I developed a cold that triggered my asthma. Since then, the extreme cold air has set in. During the last two days, I have woken up with "tightness" when I breathe and some coughing. I have used Albuterol first thing and have felt better after that. The thing that worries me is that even with using a second dose about 20-30 minutes before leaving home for work, the coughing and breathing difficulty is setting in immediately upon stepping foot outside. I had hoped that by using the Albuterol ahead of time along with a scarf or facemask, it would lessen the asthma symptoms. They don't really seem to be helping much. This is kind of scary for me, because last January I had an attack that needed emergency care with symptoms that started just like these. I never miss work and I have missed the last two days because of my fear of stepping outside again into the cold.

Current treatment: Advair 250/50 has been temporarily bumped up to 500/50 for the last couple weeks, Singulair and Albuterol. So far, the symptoms aren't severe enough to begin Prednisone, for which I have a standing prescription.

I just want to be able to get to and from my car and my home/office or grocery store without worrying I will end up with a severe asthma attack. Am I being unreasonable to be scared of stepping food outside right now? Should I just be "sucking it up" and sticking to my regular routine? After my emergency attack last winter, I started carrying an epi-pen for emergencies. I know that if I did have emergency, I could use the epi-pen and that there are 3 hospitals nearby, but that really isn't lessening my current concerns much. My goal is to keep it from getting to that point.

I did go to my PCP. He increased my Advair, per my asthma plan, and told me to come back if it got worse. I also have an appointment on January 6 for a Pulmonary Function Test and a follow-up with the Pulmonologist on January 8.

Any suggestions or reassurances would help. I just felt a need to talk today.

Thanks,
MR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Nervous to go outside into the cold

Anyone else out there have asthma problems with the cold?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I don't know what to tell you. I jog in the cold though it does give me a little tickle (I do 2 puffs of albuterol befor going to jog). I don't not go out - I just try not to stay out unless I'm jogging....

Old 12-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

I have big time problems with the very cold weather and also when it's very hot. I try to take some reasonable precautions during extreme weather but sometimes it still is a big challenge.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks for your responses. I've been through a lot recently trying to get my asthma under control. It was frustrating this week to have the cold air problems. I have the rest of the winter to get through. I guess I was lucky that we had a warmer than usual November and beginning of December this year. Sometimes I wonder if I should just look at moving to a warmer climate. I have family in Las Vegas. I wish I could just get a doctor's release to qualify me for FMLA during the winters. It's a shame too because I used to enjoy the winters out here. We get light, powdery snow and have little wind-chill. It's so much more enjoyable that what I had growing up in the mid-west.

Closed Thread