It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
(male)

kg21678 HB User
Asthma and the cold weather

Ok so I'm taking symbicort 80/4.5. I have stopped taking it for the past month and some change, but recently it has become very cold, and twice in the past two days when i went into my car to run some errands I thought i was having a panic attack, but i had real difficulty breathing and it kind of feels like a knot to the right side of my heart, it doesn't hurt, but its very difficult to catch my breath, i started taking my inhaler tonight. I have real crappy insurance and want to avoid any emergency room visits as possible, any tips? As a 26 year old i would like to go out and have normal life

Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Asthma and the cold weather

I have major problems with cold weather asthma too. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to deal with it to prevent an asthma emergency. I haven't found anything that completely works. What I do though is to take my daily preventative meds. I also use my Albuterol about 20 minutes before going out into the cold. I also make a point of wearing a scarf or mask and breathe through my nose as well. I do also carry an epi-pen as well in case of emergency. Those things do help.

If anyone else out there has some other ideas, I would love to hear them too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

sensitivesoul8 HB User
Re: Asthma and the cold weather

You were put on Symbicort for a reason - it contains a steroid that helps stop inflammation in your airways. I'm 27 and I am religiously taking my medicine because if I don't, I will end up in the hospital. The cold is one of my worst enemies so I definitely sympathize with you. I wish I could stay out and run errands or walk around in the city like I used to but I have to limit my exposure to the cold air - make sure you wear a scarf around your mouth when you are out. It is supposed to warm the air you breathe. It works for a little while for me, but then I have to get inside otherwise my chest gets REALLY tight. I understand the frustration because I'm experiencing it as we speak. Please remain diligent with your medicine - it will help prevent those attacks. Also, do you own a nebulizer? They are more effective than inhalers when you're experiencing attacks.

Closed Thread