It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Do rescue inhalers not help?

Ever since I started having asthma back in August, rescue inhalers don't work. I got a nebulizer for home or at my dorm just incase, but when asthma starts flaring when I'm out, there's not really much I can do.

I started having an asthma attack one night before my night lab at school (another round of pollen earlier in the fall), and I'd thought to bring the (rather pointless) rescue inhaler that I'd gotten before the nebulizer. I used it, but the asthma only seemed to get worse. I decided to just stick it out, since it wasn't a really serious attack, just a lot of coughing and a lot of tightness in my chest.

I also had an asthma attack in november when I ran a mile in order to catch the shuttle to the other campus (I'd been off-campus at a doctor's appointment). I ended up nearly throwing up because I was so short of breath and was coughing so much. I didn't have my rescue inhaler then, but it wouldn't have done any good anyway. I felt awful for the next few hours at work.

I'm not sure what I can do if rescue inhalers just don't work for me. Has anyone else had such a resistance to them, and what did you do for emergencies when you weren't home?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Do rescue inhalers not help?

A couple thoughts:

Have you checked the expiration date on your inhaler?

Does your inhaler still have usable dosages in it. Just because you can "hear" and "feel" it doesn't mean you haven't used up the intended use dosages.

Are you using your inhaler correctly?

If you have a period of time where your asthma stays out of control, you may need to revise your asthma treatment. You may need a daily preventative medication or steroids to get and keep things under control. You use those things in addition to your inhaler.

Talk to your doctor about the type of medication you are using for your rescue inhaler. Maybe another type or brand would work better for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Do rescue inhalers not help?

I agree with MountainReader. It sounds like you need your a revamping of your asthma meds, pronto! If your rescue inhaler is not working for you, that's a clear signal that you need to be re-evaluated by your doctor. There are lots of preventative asthma meds out there, such as corticosteriods to bring and keep down inflammation in the airways. Perhaps you need to be on something like that on a daily basis, in addition to having a rescue inhaler for sudden attacks.

Seriously...go talk to your doctor. You shouldn't have to suffer like that...there are meds out there that can effectively control your asthma.

Closed Thread