It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
(male)

theeagle02 HB User
what is an alternative to advair?

what is an alternative to advair? I have been on advair 500 for approx one year, (after Flovent was discontinued) but have never felt that advair is right for me. My breathing just does not improve with advair. I have COPD and also have alpha 1 Anti-trypsen deficiency. Is there a better product than Advair you could recommend?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: what is an alternative to advair?

What do you mean that Flovent was discontinued? Can you not go back to using it ifit worked? I use it and it works well for me. Spiriva is also an alternative. As is singulair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

shelovescliche HB User

I tried Advair and it didn't seem to do much for me. I switched to Symbicort, which is another type of preventative inhaler, and it helped a lot.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

My son too is on symbicort. It has been amazing. We went from being in the dr. office every 2 to 3 weeks to only once in the last 8 months. (and then, there was no weezing) the year before he started symbicort, he had to take oral steroids 6 times. So scary. Because any little cold, his lungs would go crazy and his oxygen sat. would decrese. Symbicort is an inhaled steroid preventitive. It has truely saved his childhood. He can be an active little boy now. So I highly recommend it.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
(female)

Sissy92 HB User

I also use Flovent, it is still on the market. I also HAVE used Spirvia. However, I was getting hoarse. My Pulmo Dr. thought it was something else and had me go to an ENT which said I could have (sp) laryngeal reflux. Been on Prilosec. My question to anyone is: To those who do take Spirvia have any of you had hoarsness? I ask this as I stopped puffing it for a few days and then tried it again and sure enough, my hoarseness came back. Tried again, same thing. I asked my pharmacist, his response was Sprivia is very drying. Not only in the mouth but the throat and it is possible this could cause hoarsness. Some people are more sensative than others. I had noticed while on Spirvia, some pieces of the capsule and powder were on my tongue. I think this is the most primative form an inhaler available. Where is the "puffer" like all the others on the market? I was able to take Spirvia and it did help my bronchi open up good. I cannot take most of the other drugs due to a heart problem. Any response appreciated. TNX S

Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
after Flovent was discontinued
I checked and Flovent has not been discontinued in Canada. It is still available and is now available as a generic in Canada (the generic is called Fluticasone). The generic is significantly less expensive than the name brand was.

You should probably check with your doctor and/or pharmacist to find out why you were switched to Advair (which contains the same active ingredient as Flovent plus an additional long-acting beta agonist).

Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

dreamingofasong HB User

I live in Canada and currently take FloVent--generic isn't available yet. If FloVent was working for you, you should still be taking it and only be on Advair if necessary to get your asthma in control. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about this.

you hold your breath to breathe
--eyes to see, flyleaf

Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
(female)

NDboots HB User

I know a few people who have been on Advair for over a couple years and they are doing great on it. Almost like they don't have asthma. I hope that they can stay that way. I wish I could say that, but I can't. So wondering what I should be on??? Currently I'm on Flovent and Prevental, but it's like I never got over being on Advair. Prior to using Advair Abuterals worked pretty good for me, but not since being on Advair. I wish I knew why.

I was on Advair in 2003 and 2004 for a short period both years. Would feel good for two weeks then gain weight, and breathing became worse. So convinced my Dr. to put me back on what I was prior to it. During winter early 2005 I got bronchitis, and antibotics cleared that up but afterwards the asthma was still bad so the Dr. put me back on Advair and would not renew my former prescriptions, insisting that Advair was a good product and that I needed to remain on it from then on.

First two weeks were pretty good, as the other times. Then it was like I was allergic to it. This is a list of what happened to me during 2005-2006 while on it.
--gained 15 pounds of water weight (dropped back down when I went off Advair).
--top side of blood pressure increased 15-20 points, one time even got up to 170 over 80 (dropped back down when I went off Advair).
--panic attacks, numerous a day and prior to Advair none (went away after off Advair).
--study shortness of breath and coughing up white and yellowish pleghm (still have, lungs got worse on it and have not improved).
--acid reflux/heartburn (improved but not back to normal since off Advair)
--geographic tongue (did not go away after stopping Advair)
--Irritable bowel/on and off diahrea (still have the problem since off Advair, did not have the problem prior to Advair).
--frequent yeast infections including in armpits (greatly reduced since off Advair).
--hoarseness of voice (since Advair can no longer sing, still that way).
--Increased muscle & joint pain (still have that).

When I complained about these things back in 2005 and 2006 to my Dr., she refused to change my prescription. She said these things were in my head. Later she put me on additional meds for the Advair side affects, like the water retention, blood pressure, lung phelgm. The next thing I know one day in April 2006, I'm having heart attack symptoms and on an ambulance ride to the hospital. Later I was told my heart was okay, but I had a severe allergic reaction to all the junk the Dr. put me on for the Advair side affects along with Advair.

Thank God for a different Dr. that took me off everything, including Advair. But I'm still suffering some of the awlful side affects from Advair. I believe Advair and my former Dr. not listening to me, have made my asthma condition permanently worse. I certainly would not recommend Advair, because my own life was ruined by it, I'm still suffering for using it.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

It depends upon where you live in Canada ..I live in southern Ontario and we've had the generic here for a while

Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
(female)

Sisterbell HB User

I use Serevent (Advair without the steroid). Works great for me. I was on Asthmacort for 10 years and made my doctor take me off of it. Too many yeast infections and joint pain. Now they want to put me back on steroids, but I refuse.

Closed Thread