It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Question Tips on How to stop coughing needed..ASAP

Hello...it's midnight and i've been awake and coughing my lungs up non-stop(it feels like) for about 36 hours...I've pulled muscles in my stomach and chest and thereis small amounts of blood in my saliva ...all from the force of my cough. I'm so tired I just want cry...my asthma is acting up (obviously)and I have broncitus on top of it ...I just want to sleep but between the coughing and the wheezing that isn't going to happen tonight...but if anyone has any tips on how to stop this coughing ...that would be great!! FYI I have been to both the Emergency and my plumologist and neither have been able to stop this ...They gave me steroids galore and Tussonex (a super strong cough suppressant ) but neither are doing the trick.........wow lack of sleep really makes my spelling suck..but i'm to tired to care..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Tips on How to stop coughing needed..ASAP

Try this - it works for me. Pour a small amount of campho-phenique on a hankie/kleenex and hold it to your nose. When you go to bed at night, lay with it infront of your nose so that you inhale the fumes as you sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Titcho I'll try anything at this point!!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Does steam help at all? Occassionally it helps me a bit late at night.

Do you have any allergic triggers for your asthma? Is so, try washing your linens in hot water to help decrease the dust.

Sometimes it works in reverse, but a humidifier helps me a bit.

I coughed for over 3 months straight at one point. I was in the same boat that even the steroids didn't help at that time. (They do help most of the time though.) The pulled muscles can really really hurt and make things even worse. I'd end up sleeping in fetal position because it hurt my muscles when I stretched back out. A heating pad for the muscles helps them feel better for a bit. Doesn't help with the coughing though.

During this particular bad flare, I tried the Tussionex too. It didn't help me sleep or with the cough, but did cause me to "zone" during the day. I was also maxing out on my use of the Albuterol in addition to my daily preventatives.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Engineer,
I hope you're feeling better by now. I got sick about a month ago with an asthma flare-up, so I know what you mean about coughing until your ribs hurt and your head throbs. My doctor put me on a medrol pack. The 4 mg. steroid pill where you take 6 pills the first day, 5 the next, etc. etc. I took all of those and it didn't help my breathing and coughing. So I had to get on the big time 20 mg. Prednisone 3 x a day. I was also using my albuteral - 3 puffs 4 x a day. I have never used my inhaler that much and it made my mouth, tongue and gums really sore. I still have a little tickle cough, but not much at all. My lungs were so congested and I couldn't cough it out. I put Vick's mentholatem on my chest and under my nose, so that I inhale it -that helped my cough somewhat. I drank tons of water. That would loosen the gunk in my lungs along with Mucinex. When I had trouble breathing in between puffs, I drank hot strong coffee. All because I thought I had to go out and do the yard work under the cedar trees! I'll never do that again!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
(female)

kizzy678 HB User

I know this may not be much help but I find my asthmas can sometimes get worse if I have had a lot of dairy products as it can make the mucus stringy and hard to move it may help and is worth a try at least. Also if itís that try a steaming bowl with a towel over your head (be careful it doesnít burn) but the steam in your lungs can help ease the cough and the itch you canít stop

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kizzy ..that does help me for sure ..dairy does make me very flemmy(sp?).

Old 06-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
(female)

gkoesterer HB User

If you are on blood pressure meds check to see if coughing is a side effect. I coughed almost non stop for almost four years sleeping only when sitting in a recliner. I finally insisted that the doctor change my blood pressure medicine from Lisinopril to something else. He put me on Diovan and within four days the cough was all but gone.

Closed Thread