It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
(male)

Nate154 HB User
Tell me, why do I have asthma?

First, I have no history of asthma in my family. 26 years, and healthy. I do have some seasonal allergies that are easily controlled.

I was just getting over a pretty decent sore throat (not sure if this matters), when I moved into a new apartment. Three days later, I started waking up with tightness in my chest. Three months of waking up early with tightness, I went to the doctor and had a breathing test. All I was told after that is, you have asthma, here's an inhaler, case closed.

My asthma only occurs at nighttime, 2 years now. I've never needed an emergency inhaler, and I can get by with half a dose of Symbicort. I moved apartments, and I kept the asthma!

Is it just coincidence that I developed asthma after moving into a new apartment? Could it have been something in the apartment that caused me to develop? Could it ever go away? Ever since I've been taking the inhaler, I've been losing my hair. Anyone else ever have this?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Tell me, why do I have asthma?

Asthma is not curable. Something damaged your airways and that damage cannot be corrected. You've had no attacks because the daily med is controlling the asthma. If you were to quit taking it altogether the symptoms would return. The hair loss is most likely incidental...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate154 View Post
First, I have no history of asthma in my family. 26 years, and healthy. I do have some seasonal allergies that are easily controlled.
Asthma is a strange beast. I developed Asthma from a Flu Shot back in the 1960's. It's been a 40+ year struggle. Fortunately, I have never suffered permanent damage to my lungs, and nearing age 70 my lungs are at full capacity.

Quote:
I was just getting over a pretty decent sore throat (not sure if this matters), when I moved into a new apartment. Three days later, I started waking up with tightness in my chest. Three months of waking up early with tightness, I went to the doctor and had a breathing test. All I was told after that is, you have asthma, here's an inhaler, case closed.
Sounds somewhat similar to my story. A flu shot put me into the hospital for 10 days because of a severe Asthmatic reaction. I had never had asthma before that flu shot.

Quote:
My asthma only occurs at nighttime, 2 years now. I've never needed an emergency inhaler, and I can get by with half a dose of Symbicort. I moved apartments, and I kept the asthma!
Night time is an Asthmatics worst time. Your metabolism changes at night (ref: circadian rhythm). It makes an Asthmatic super sensitive at night. Even the slightest trigger will set off an Asthmatic at night. Things that don't bother you during the day time, will set off Asthmatic symptoms during the night.

Quote:
Is it just coincidence that I developed asthma after moving into a new apartment? Could it have been something in the apartment that caused me to develop? Could it ever go away?
Asthma is a very difficult beast to lose. I had bad asthma up in Pittsburgh. It went away when I moved to Florida, but down in Florida I had bad sinusitis and sinus allergies instead. I took allergy shots for my sinus allergies..... my sinuses got much, MUCH better, but my Asthma came back!?

You figure it out, I can't!

Quote:
Ever since I've been taking the inhaler, I've been losing my hair. Anyone else ever have this?
I have not had the same reaction. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Regards, and best of luck dealing with your new friend, Asthma!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-15-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Nate,

If it started when you moved into a new apartment, it could be due to "dust mites" or "mattress mites". They are microscopic little creatures that live off of dead skin. They take up residence in mattresses because that's where they will find their food supply. They eat and they poop and it's the poop that can cause problems for people. Also, apartment mattresses can be musty so the best thing would be to use a plastic mattress cover and a plastic pillow cover too.

Once everything is covered with plastic, you can put on clean sheets and clean pillow cases. Then be sure to wash the bedding every few weeks or at least once per month. Before washing, it will help if you can shake the sheets outside.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

hwiser09 HB User

Nate154;

it is possible that the due to the environment surrounding your apartment.Asthma will not go away....it might get away for some time but it will still return.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-19-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Closed Thread