It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

anonlexaprogal HB User
Post Exercise-induced asthma & Xopenex

Hi All!

Recently diagnosed w/ exercise-induced asthma. My allergist says this is the mildest form of asthma that someone can have. Does anyone else on the board have only exercise-induced asthma?

I only have problems during exercise (indoor or outdoor, summer or winter) ... heavy yard work, running, brisk walking, etc. Taking Xopenex as preventative. I've used it several times and each time noticed a huge difference. Typically after exercising for 5 or 10 minutes I'll start to cough. Just cough, and cough and cough! It's so crazy b/c I can otherwise breathe fine. Since using the inhaler before I exercise I will still get to that point where I would normally start coughing uncontrollably, but now I don't.

Just thought I'd share my story w/ you. Would love input from those of you w/ experience w/ exercise-induced asthma!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Exercise-induced asthma & Xopenex

Even folks with regular asthma have to premedicate before cardio. I have a mild case of asthma and have to use 2 puffs of albuterol 15-20 minutes before jogging...and I jog 2-3 miles at a time...Works great for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Re: Exercise-induced asthma & Xopenex

I had exercise induced asthma when I was younger to now. I never knew what it was till I was about 30 and started having full blown asthma 24/7 and needed steroid inhailer + xoponex.
I noticed the breathing problems I was having all day then felt the same as when I'd exericse and my airways would sorta close up, I'd wheeze when breathing and it would slowly go away as my heart rate would calm down (with the exercising that is).

Anyway, at the time I started having full blown asthma, I also had acid reflux really bad. I woke at night a couple times over a few months really choaking bad from breathing the reflux into my lungs while sleeping. after a few months I saw a gastroenterologist which diagnosed the reflux issues, stretched my esophagus, and put me on nexium for 8 weeks. I stopped having acid reflux as bad after that along with making some diet changes and elevating the head of my bed 6 inches. Then after TWO YEARS of having terrible asthma, it went away! Back to only having it after exercise and only needing xoponex as needed.

My pulmonologist said she believes that the acid I got in my lungs from my stomach caused me to have asthma and that it took the 2 years for my lungs to fully heal from it all and stop having asthma symptoms. I agree with her because of the order it all started in and stopped in.

Exercise induced asthma is nothing like having it all the time. I can take xoponex 20 minutes before exercising and I don't have asthma.

Last edited by t_411; 11-18-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Closed Thread