It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

jillybelly HB User
my asthma has never been this bad before and i'm not sure what to do.

I've been in emerg twice since this weekend... Saturday night and yesterday evening. Saturday I was having a lot of difficulty breathing and OD'd on all my puffers trying to get it to stop. (I have a 2 yo son and going to the hospital at 2am is not what i wanted to do...). By the time I got there my asthma was clearing up but the dr put me on 5 days or 60mg prednisone and gave me ativan and cough medicine. It's a flu virus triggering it.

Anyway, it didn't get any better. I continued my symbicort 200 4x a day, tool son's ventolin every few hours (I didn't have one of my own at the time), and took the prednisone. I lasted through sunday but sunday night I had an attack that left me barely able to speaking and coughing uncontrollably I just didn't want to lug the toddler into the hospital again so I took ventolin and atrovent until I could breathe enough to sleep. Which by the way was 3 hours only because the dr gave me ativan and that's how long it knocked me up before I woke up coughing uncontrollably...

Monday I took my son to his pediatrician and go her to prescribe a nebulizer. I called my dr's office last Friday and she won't see me until Thursday!! Anyway I was out that day. Not exerting myself other tahn walking to the dr, picking up the compressor and ventolin for it... I was driving my son home and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe again. I started to feel all numb and couldn't catch my breath between coughing. I took the ventolin right away and headed straight to the hospital because I figured where I'd been getting worse and not better something else needed to be done.

I got better by the time I got there (as usual) but not really too much better. The dr gave me a prednise shot and a script for ventolin puffer and nebules and said to take them both every six hours. He said it only looks like the flu virus and not a complication of bronchitis but gave me antibiotics as a precaution...

ANYWAY... My question is this: I seem to be good for a little while here and there. My chest loosed up a lot with the prednisone shot. But I've had two attacks again today. I got to the point where I couldn't speak. Twice. And the tigger for one was talking on the phone for a few minutes. I've taken my nebulizer both times but since my asthma has never been this bad before I'm worried and don't really know what I should be doing? Is it okay to have two attacks like this in one day? Shoudl I go back to the hospital again the next attack or should I wait until thursday for my doctor? Is there anything else I could even be taking for my asthma right now? I take symicort 200 4x a day, ventolin 2 puffs every six hours as well as the nebulizer every six hours, prednisone 60mgs (third day of five), I have a cool mist humidifer hooked up in my room... I had that prednisone shot.

I'm mostly afraid because I am caring for an energetic two year old on my own. He is surprisingly understanding and when I had my attack around him he said "momm? you ok? mommy need medicine?" and when i took out a book he told me to put it back (i've lost my voice from coughing and the puffers), and when i lay down to tuck him in i started coughing again so he told me to go out and gave me a kiss. But i still need to be lifting him into his carseat to take him to daycare and walking with him or chasing him around the house when he makes messes. I just ughh.... I dunno. I always feel like I'm faking it when I go to the hospital because of the way they treat you there. (Well except the last dr, he was great and gave me the shot and everything). And it frustrates me that I called my own doctor's office and couldn't see her for almost a week even though I said it was about asthma getting bad...

What shoudl I do? Do I just wait it out? I'm taking my ventolin nebulizer more than prescribed... I need to or I can't breathe or speak or anything...

Last edited by jillybelly; 07-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: my asthma has never been this bad before and i'm not sure what to do.

There is a lot of information on the internet regarding asthma action plans. It gives general information that is recommended by the medical community for what type of treatment to seek for which symptoms. I have another thread on that. I'll bump it for you.

Closed Thread