HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Asthma (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/)
-   -   wheezy 3 year old (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/759960-wheezy-3-year-old.html)

whitney 3 07-23-2010 02:53 PM

wheezy 3 year old

hi i have a 3 year old son, he has always been one to pick up everything that goes round but no matter what it is he catches he gets a cough. any way he coughs regularly but the last 4 times he has had a cough he has woken me up in the night with such a tight chest and very loud wheezing, so i steam up the bathroom till it loosens and put him back to bed and although he sill coughs the next day the wheeze is gone does this sound like asthma? he has had chest infections and in the winter pretty much coughs constantly.

also the last time i took him to the doctor with a chest infection she said normally we would give inhalers but i will try him with some antibiotics i also noticed last time he wasn't as active as normal he kept saying he was cold and he was quite pale anyway if this sounds familiar to anyone it would be great help to hear from you :)

misty073 07-23-2010 03:55 PM

Re: wheezy 3 year old

I had one daughter who was diagnosed with asthma at under a year because everytime she got a cold she wheezed. I took her off dairy when she was about 2 and she never had another asthma attack again. She is 4 today and is still not having dairy but does have the odd bit of icecream or milk but as long as she doesnt have it regularly she is fine. No drs recommened this or said dairy was the cause the just kept giving her puffers and antibiotics. And a few times she needed the nebulizer. It was a naturalpath who said take her off dairy.

My now 17 year old (funny I never made the connection with the two girls) used to get brochitis and pnemonia often before she was one. Always needing antibiotics and always going to emergency, she had asthma once. Her pediatrician said to take her off dairy (she was on a dairy formula) and she was fine after that. She had been able to have dairy since she was 7.

My naturalpath said kids immune systems are not fully mature until they are around 7 or 8 and some kids cant handle the mucus dairy creates and its makes them sick...more so if they catch a cold.

Oh and edited to add. My daughter had a chest infection for 3 weeks and antibiotics were not helping at all, and the puffers were not helping at all...I wanted to know what was causing the asthma because my husband gets it from dogs so what was causing hers??? that is when I took her to the naturalpath...it was Thur afternoon and she said to take her off dairy and gave her a natural antibiotic....She was completely clear by monday morning and has never had a chest infection, asthma or bad cough since. I have also recently taken my 5 year old son off dairy because I think it is causing problems with his adnoids, he has always been very nasal and snores and gets winded when he runs...this has helped him alot as well.

janewhite1 07-23-2010 04:30 PM

Many children get a respiratory illness causing breathing problems once or twice. If this is happening frequently, though, it really sounds like it needs to be dealt with. Chronic inflammation of the lungs and bronchi is not good for a child. Has he ever had albuterol or steroid treatment? If not, why not?

whitney 3 07-24-2010 02:17 AM

he has not had inhaler treatments or asthma meds in general, he just gets given antibiotics everytime he gets wheezy it does the job i just dont want him to go through the whole of winter with a cough and always ending up on antibiotics :)

janewhite1 07-24-2010 04:38 AM

Even if he's just wheezing when he has an infection, it still sounds like he's having ongoing problems with his lungs, and it might be time to have him evaluated by a pulmonologist or something.

Titchou 07-24-2010 07:01 AM

Please keep in mind that wheezing does not mean asthma nor does having asthma mean you have to wheeze. I'm going to toss an "out of the box" idea at you...does he have his tonsils? I was much like him at his age and continued like that along with having tonsilitis every 2 months or so when in grade school along with pneumonia and strep throat every now and then. ENT wanted to remove my tonsils but that crazy woman who birthed me wouldn't allow it - thought I would outgrow it.
I finally had them out age 26...ugh! But, only 2 cases of the flu, no strep, obviously no tonsilitis, one case of walking pneumonia, one sinus infection in the intervening almost 40 years!
And I can't remember but maybe 2 real colds in that time...some small starts to a cold but a couple of days of Alka plus for colds and they don't go any further.

whitney 3 07-24-2010 07:10 AM

he had a cough for the whole of winter bless him so i am not looking forward to this winter for him. i will get referred thankyou for your help :)

misty073 07-24-2010 08:44 AM

If he had a cough for the whole winter I would take him off dairy. Google dairy and kids. It causes all sorts of issues. And my 17 year old didnt have asthma she got bronchitis and pnemonia from the build up of mucus.

Also I would not get my childs tonsils out at age 3. they are the first line of defence against virus and infection so thats why alot of kids get tonsilitis...remove them and you are just letting the infections get in. I had tonsilitis alot as a kid and never had mine out...and havent had it in many many years.

whitney 3 07-25-2010 02:35 AM

hi yep he has his tonsils he does get tonsillitis, i have suffered with i for as long as i can remember and every time it gets worse :( hopefully he will grow out of it though, i will try taking him off the dairy and see how that goes thank you for your replies its much appreciated :)