It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
(female)

Nimrodel HB User
Question Could this be asthma?

Is it possible to have asthma which presents just as chest tightness/pain, and not get asthma attacks?

My fiance has been having chest pain recently; been to urgent care for it twice, both times they ran tests to make sure it was nothing serious, and said he had pneumonia. He's had pneumonia twice in the past 6 weeks now. He finally was able to see a pulmo, who suggested it might be asthma, so now he's going to get tested for the in December. That seems so weird though; asthma, but he doesn't have coughing or wheezing, just chest pain, and he doesn't get any sort of attacks? Does anyone else know about asthma like that?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Could this be asthma?

I have asthma and I never wheeze. I cough only when things are particularly bad. My symptoms include chest tightness, mild chest pain, and feeling out of breath and tired. When it gets bad, climbing a flight of stairs exhausts me. And no, I don't really get sudden attacks either.

They can't test until December? Does he have any medication meanwhile? Is it helping at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

Nimrodel HB User

Yeah, the earliest they were able to make an appointment was Dec 8th, where he'll have some tests done and then see the doctor immediately afterward. He wasn't given any meds.

It's good to know that asthma can present that way; do you know anywhere I could find information about asthma without attacks? He's been worried because doesn't see how it could be asthma if he doesn't have attacks, but if he could read about this being something that happens, that would make him feel a lot better.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Some strains of pneumonia can cause asthma. That's what happened to me. And yes, some asthmatics never wheeze - I don't. I just get chest tightness.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
(female)

PainPainGoAway HB User

Hi. I found out when my son(6 at the time) was diagnosed with asthma, that an asthma attack doesn't necessarily mean that "asthma attack" that you think of when you hear it. If someone is having a coughing spout..or if they walk up a flight of stairs and have shortness of breath..or they go for a jog and have chest pain/tightness..those are all asthma attacks. Trust me..when I thought of an asthma attack..I thought of the person not being able to breathe and 911 needing to be called...I was wrong. When I brought my son to the doc to get checked for having this weird chronic 1/2 of a cough/clearing his throat thingy for a week(he had been at baseball practice and they were kicking up the dirt in the infield) and he said he thought he had asthma, I was beyond shocked! Even more so when he tested positive. After having his meds changed a few times, and now that I understand it better..he is doing very well. Since then, I have been diagnosed with asthma as well. When I walk too fast I get shortness of breath. When I run my chest is on fire and I feel like it's gonna cave in. Sometimes I get this little quick, forceful inhale that I didn't do on purpose..it's like an involuntary quick inhale..sorta catching my breath thing or something. When I get sick, my asthma flares up and it sucks. It has been better since they switched my meds...they originally gave me Symbicort but since they switched me to Advair I am having a much easier time. Of course I also have the ProAir and I take Zyrtec D as well for allergies. The combo has worked wonders. My point is...asthma is not anything like what they've always made it out to be. There are different levels of severity, however, so some people may have more severe and more chronic problems...but most people don't. Here is a little information you can share with your husband...

http://www.*****.com/asthma/guide/asthma-symptoms

It's best to get it checked...even if he doesn't think that is the case. Hopefully he doesn't have asthma..but if he does, it doesn't seem like he's suffering..so he should be thankful that it was caught early. Good luck!

Sandy

Closed Thread