It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
(male)

john319 HB User
Question Heat and Humdity Cause Asthma?

Can heat and humidity cause an asthama episode? I am thinking of both internal heat and humidty (a hot and stuffy room) or external heat and humidity (an August day where it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity.). I am not talking about mold from the internal source or the ozone from the external source. I mean just the heat and humidity themselves--can these cause an asthma epsiode?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Heat and Humdity Cause Asthma?

Some asthmatics are sensitive to it. Usually cold weather is a bigger trigger. However, warm, muggy weather also has lots of allergens in it and they can cause an attack as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I second what Titchou responded with.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
(male)

john319 HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I was figuring it was the warm nature of heat and humidity themselves that brought on asthma. It's July, for example, with temps and humidity in the 90's, and the stifiling air affected asthmatics' breathing. I didn't think of them containing allergens that bring on the asthma.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It actually can happen, that heat and humidity all by themselves can bring on an attack. For me, it's a minor trigger. For example, during pollen season, I have to be careful not to steam up the bathroom when I shower.

I know one woman who has heat as her PRIMARY asthma trigger, however.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

Asthma triggers are so individualized. I have several friends whose asthma is highly triggered by heat & humidity, but mine loves hot humid weather. What sets me off is cool humid weather for some reason.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
(male)

john319 HB User
Question Re: Heat and Humdity Cause Asthma?

Would heat/humidity show up on a methacholine challenge test as an asthma trigger?

BTW: Wasn't there a post by somebody that said heat and humditiy are not asthma triggers, and now that post is gone? I saw it the other night but I was crashing early and didn't reply to it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No triggers show up in asthma testing. You have to determine for yourself whether something is a trigger. Asthma testing isn't like allergy testing in that respect.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
(male)

john319 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
No triggers show up in asthma testing. You have to determine for yourself whether something is a trigger. Asthma testing isn't like allergy testing in that respect.
Thanks for the fast response.

What is involved with a methacholine challenge? I believe it has to do with the drs giving you something that will constrict your airways, thereby saying if you have/don't have asthma--correct?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Correct. And they may also give you a bronchialdialator to see if it opens the airways.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
(male)

john319 HB User
Question Re: Heat and Humdity Cause Asthma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Correct. And they may also give you a bronchialdialator to see if it opens the airways.
So what is the actual thing/source/etc. they are giving you to see if the airways constrict?

If your airways do not constrict, does that means you do not have asthma? Or do they make the you have/don't have asthma diagnosis after they do the bronchialdialator? Also if the airways do not constrict, do they still give the bronchialdialator?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Typically they measure your lung function, then give you a drug called methacholine. That's why it's called a methacholine challenge test. After you take the drug, they measure your lung function again, to see if it decreased.

They try it several times at different doses. If you have asthma, unless it is a very mild occasional thing and not acting up at all that day, you should react.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
john319 (04-16-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
(male)

John Carlos HB User

Heat and humidity cause suffocation and asthmatic person feels it alot and the breathe shortens. I am asthmatic and i can't go in congested and humid places

Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
(male)

branfeld HB Userbranfeld HB User

Heat and humidity bother me as well

Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
(male)

john319 HB User
Wink Re: Heat and Humdity Cause Asthma?

Thanks everyone for the input.

I myself would not stay in a stuffy room very long, and when the two H's make their marks in June thru August, yours truly isn't stay outdoors for very long.

Last edited by john319; 04-19-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Closed Thread