It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

AnonHandle HB User
Any problems with long-term use of Singulair?

I've been a huge mess of allergies, reflux, and possible asthma this year, changing my mind on an almost daily basis as to what is going on, and I finally seem to have found something that helps in the form of Singulair. I saw a pulmonologist a couple days ago who said that he doesn't think I have asthma and prescribed Singulair to help with what he thinks are severe allergies.

I took my first pill yesterday and woke up feeling better today. Given how awful my allergies have been, I took a generic Claritin-D 24 this morning just to cover my bases and cannot express how much better I feel overall. I started weaning off my PPI several days ago and now think I may be able to continue weaning, which thrills me.

My question is what are the long-term consequences of taking Singulair? Given that I've spent nearly two years taking a PPI for what I thought was reflux (and may yet turn out to be... still sorting things out on that count), I may need to take Singulair year-round to stave off my reflux-like symptoms. Based upon everything I've read it seems that Singulair would be the lesser of two evils, particularly since my PPI stopped working anyway.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Any problems with long-term use of Singulair?

Everyone I know for whom Singulair works (it doesn't for everyone) have reported no side effects from long term usage. Like many other allergy drugs, it seems to be well tolerated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've taken singulair for many years with no side effects.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
(male)

branfeld HB Userbranfeld HB User

I've been on it since either late 2007 or early 2008. I haven't noticed any side effects yet.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

crazgrl HB User

My son has been on it for three years (at least). It has seriously been a lifesaver for him!!! No side effects here. We were able to cut down on all other medications and he only needs allergy medicine when the pollen counts skyrocket. He rarely uses an inhaler. We are so pleased!!! I wish I could find something that worked as well for me. My allergen triggers are well controlled... my other triggers are a nuisance.

Closed Thread