HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Asthma (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/)
-   -   asthma and humidity (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/852397-asthma-humidity.html)

countrykidd12 06-01-2011 07:03 PM

asthma and humidity

Ive had asthma for about a year now and the past few days have been very humid. I have a harder time breathing in the humid air and often get short of breath with little exercise. What will help relieve my asthma symptoms when its humid or what should i avoid?

janewhite1 06-01-2011 08:06 PM

Re: asthma and humidity

Oh, man, it can be like breathing soup out there some days, can't it?

The best thing is, exercise someplace air conditioned, or during the coolest parts of the day. If you have to go out in the sticky evil heat, don't move too fast.

I have found that my weather-related symptoms (from cold air or hot humid air) tend to appear very quickly after I go outside, but also clear up quickly once I get into more comfortable air.

One other thing I've noticed: Showering can be an issue. Usually I love to steam up the bathroom when I shower, but in the summer, that can actually bring on more asthma symptoms.

So, I leave the fan on, the bathroom door open and the curtain as loosely closed as I can without spraying outside the tub. I also keep it short, and maybe turn the water off when washing.

vermonsters 06-02-2011 03:47 AM

I have had asthma for about 6ish months now..it started with the cold dry air, after that went away it cleared up. Well now that it was really hot and humid here my symptoms (tight chest, cough, phlegm, sore upper back) came back the other day...finally was relieved when it rained (I think the pollen level was super high so that wasn't helping)

It was hard to do anything in that weather...even climbing the stairs woudl leave me out of breath. I'd exercise in an air conditioned room or just wait for the humidity to be over with.

I too have trouble in the shower!

crazgrl 07-08-2011 08:27 PM

I don't have any advice. It surely is comforting to know I am not alone. Sometimes I complain to dh about the air being heavy. I asked him once if he felt that and he said no. And here I thought everyone felt that. It was then that I realized that it was an asthma thing. I try to stay indoors and not do anything too strenuous outside...and my inhaler is ALWAYS with me.

janewhite1 07-08-2011 08:43 PM

Crazgrl, that's actually how I discovered I had asthma. I woke up one morning and said, "There's something wrong with the air today." It took all day for me to figure out that, no, it wasn't the air, it was me. I'd never felt anything like that before.

Titchou 07-09-2011 11:43 AM

Follow your asthma action plan - you do have one, don't you? if not, head back to your pulmonologist and get one. It will tell you what to do - add a med, add puffs of your current med, use your albuterol, etc. Whatever you and your doctor have worked out.

vermonsters 07-09-2011 12:14 PM

Yesterday we took a trip (about 400 miles) from home and it was humid (rained on and off) and hot..yeah I forgot my inhaler. I felt like I had a brick on my chest the whole time..