It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Oppppps, I used a Flovent 110mcg inhaler that was 8 mos expired!

I did not realize that my Flovent expired eight months ago. I had been using the expired Flovent for well over a month. So..... I went out and got a new, unexpired one.

My question: Should I continue using the old, expired Flovent, which seemed to work quite well, or switch over to the new one? How long after the expiration date is a Flovent still good? Anyone else ever used an expired Flovent?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Oppppps, I used a Flovent 110mcg inhaler that was 8 mos expired!

In general my doc says that expired medications might not work as well but if they work fine she'd use them.

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
Machaon (07-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Generally, with expired medicines, the worst thing that could happen is that it won't work as well. But if it was stored well, and you haven't noticed any loss of asthma control...

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Machaon (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Thanks guys! It's always good to get input from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
In general my doc says that expired medications might not work as well but if they work fine she'd use them.

Pup
I have never heard a doctor saying this before. Thanks for the feedback from a medical professional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Generally, with expired medicines, the worst thing that could happen is that it won't work as well. But if it was stored well, and you haven't noticed any loss of asthma control...
So far, my Asthma is still well under control as long as I avoid my Asthma triggers.

I have used heart medications that were several years expired and antibiotics that were older than dirt, but I am cautious of Flovent because it comes enclosed in that silver package. The packaging makes me think that Flovent might be more volatile than other medications, and more prone to losing it's effectiveness.

Buts...... what you say makes sense. If it ain't broken don't fix it! If I haven't had any loss of Asthma control, then stay with what is working.

Thanks, both of you!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake

Pup

I have never heard a doctor saying this before. Thanks for the feedback from a medical professional!

The Docs *can't* say it on the record. I have friends who are doctors. Liability wise they would get in troubls.

Pup

Closed Thread