It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
sharing thoughts: stress of asthma on the body

As most of you know, I've had frequent bouts of extremely bad asthma over the years. This time last year, I was starting on another flare that lasted for months and had me extremely tired, worn down and frustrated because I was struggling to get it under control and none of my docs knew what else to do to help me.

With my Xolair treatment for the last year, I have recently been able to go off of all of my allergy and asthma daily medications I was on for years. I still have some chemically triggered problems occassionally, but I made it through winter (my worst time) without relying on steroids and antibiotics.

I had something interesting happen today. I went to see my chiropractor for a hip problem that re-occures. I've been going to him for years, but hadn't seen him since January. After he did my adjustments, he commented on how much easier the adjustments were this time and on the fact I didn't cough through my visit... which I've done for years with my asthma. I think it is amazing that my chiropractor could tell how much stress the asthma had been placing on my body for years and that I was doing so much better all in just a couple minutes doing adjustments. He didn't know about my Xolair and the fact I had been able to come off my meds. He just knew my body felt "healthier". I'm still not back to "normal" overall, but wow what a different place I'm in now. While I knew the asthma was impacting my quality of life, but I think I'm just now figuring out how significantly it impacted me for so many years.

It isn't just about the breathing, but the stress of dealing with the asthma can really impact overall body health. Just something to ponder....

Take care,
MountainReader

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (07-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: sharing thoughts: stress of asthma on the body

As one who has only recently been diagnosed with mild asthma, I have followed your posts and they are always encouraging and educational, so thank you! I am glad that you are getting the medical treatment you need and having success! It is unbelievably stressful to have any medical condition, I have no doubt the quality of life has been greatly improved for you. Good to hear it too.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
MountainReader (07-28-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I've noticed rapid weight loss when my asthma gets badly out of control. I just don't have the energy to eat. (And then of course, I wind up feeling even more tired, because I haven't eaten!)

My first flare-up I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, and my weight was healthy to begin with.

Lately, I'm more under control, and I've gotten about halfway back to where I was last year, before all this started.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

Sometimes it's tough to break the cycle of stress-asthma-more stress-more asthma. If i have a flare up I can pass out because I can't inhale. I have to really concentrate on not getting too anxious or it just gets worse. I don't have allergeies that they can identify(I say that because the asthma guru told me that I'm allergic to something but that they couldn't pin it down. My major stressors are stress itself, smoke, fragrances, cleaning products, exertion, and on and on.
They have me on a mediction regimen that has controlled things much better but you can't control the actions of others.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

RonB1111 HB User

Mountain Reader, I'm glad to hear the Xolair is working for you & you're off all daily asthma meds. I've been on Xolair for 1.5 years & I've been able to get off all daily asthma meds except Symbicort. I'd like to end Symbicort but my doc says I have to keep taking it (or a similar steroid based inhaler) in order to continue to qualify for Xolair - not sure if it's an insurance requirement or a medical opinion.

Did your doctor mention a need to use a steroid inhaler with Xolair? I'm trying to get off as many meds as possible because of the never ending side effects. I've already had cataract surgery in both eyes caused by prednisone and just learned I have osteoperosis caused by both prednisone and proton pump inhibitors.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Ron,
I'm technically using Xolair "off-label". My ENT fought insurance for 6 months with no success. He got me connected with the manufacturers foundation who qualified me for assistance. Otherwise, there is no way I could have afforded treatment. They don't have a requirement on the meds as far as I know. Other than giving them evidence of my income, my doctor provided all of the other information.

I can't say I'm permenantly off the daily asthma meds. I want to think so, but I haven't been off them long enough to tell. I was on Advair 500 for years and moved to 250, then 100 this spring. I was also on Singulair regularly as well. My doctor has told me that if I have problems to call him right away and that I may end up back on the Advair. It was my choice to try going off, but I did so with my doctor's knowledge.

I did have an attack last week when I was exposed to carpet cleaning products at work. It took me several days to get back to "normal". It is the first such incident in a very long time, but it reminds me that the asthma is a lifelong thing.

I agree with you on the worries of side effects. I worry about the osteoperosis too, but I'm too young to be tested for that yet.I've been a decade on the daily asthma meds and PPI's. Unfortunately, the high-dose PPI's will be a lifelong thing for me since the acid actually irritates my lungs and triggers asthma and breathing problems. It does become a viscious cycle. That is part of why the doctor fought for me to receive the Xolair treatments.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
(male)

RonB1111 HB User

Thank you very much for the explanations Mountain Reader. Regarding the osteoperosis DEXA scan test, apparently insurance will pay for the test regardless of age if you have a history of taking prednisone for more than 3 months and have been on PPI's for a long time.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
(female)

WVgal HB User

I developed asthma as a result of micro-aspirating stomach acid into my lungs and sinuses. This began with a bad flu in 2004 when I coughed so hard my eyes hemorrhaged, and I apparently herniated my stomach. The flu left but the cough remained. For 7 1/2 years I have coughed and thrown up and gagged and choked.

The impact on my life has been staggering. I can so relate to your post here.

I had the NF on 1/18 and am still having some respiratory issues when I eat certain foods, or too much of any of them. I am quickly learning which things I cannot tolerate. In time, I hope to reverse the asthma and be cough-free.

Your post helped me remember just how bad it all was before, and also how much better I am now.

Closed Thread