It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
(female)

Anneelise HB User
Re: Hope for Air Hunger, Anxiety, Depression!

Hi there, you ask your primary care physician to write you an order to test all of your thyroid levels. You can google which tests experts recommend. Generally, they take what's called your "TSH" level (stands for, "thyroid stimulating hormone" level. There are also tests to check your T3 and T4 levels. Ask your doc for the works (if you have insurance, can afford it). Also, you might check out a book called, "The Magnesium Miracle," which may help you. I found the most help in getting the tests my doc recommended (for asthma, heart, lungs), getting cleared from those, and then researching holistic health solutions for my breating. Don't stop checking out solutions yourself. This isn't to say you should try anything or everything. Work in conjunction with your doctor. If he/she isn't open to holistic health ideas (vitamins, minerals, supplements, etc), then you should check out (again, google) physicians who are more holistic. Let me know how it is going. Praying peace and hope for you!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
(female)

Anneelise HB User

I forgot to add that I found a LOT of relief from taking a good B-complex tablet. That reduced my anxiety greatly. And, also a good omega 3-6-9 oil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
(female)

Jen008 HB User

Ok thank you so much. I do believe my asthma is only getting worse due to my anxiety. Ill set something up with my doctor and check out the vitamins. Thank you bunches, anxiety medicine ksbthe last thing I want to be on!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Hi Anneelise!

Thank you so much for your post. About three months ago I began experiencing air hunger (constant yawning, gasping for air, sighing) and I got all major problems ruled out by x rays, pulmonologists etc. My doctor said it was anxiety as well and gave me a prescription for Lexapro and Xanax. I took it for two days and quickly got off because it was absolutely terrible. I am anemic and vitamin D drficient as well. After insisting that i get my thyroid checked I was sent to an endriconologist. I have JUST been diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroid. I was wondering what thyroid medicine you are on. I'm on the lowest dose of synthroid (levothyroxine) and its only been two days but I have read some horrifying reviews. I was hoping I could get some feed back about your experience and how long were you on the medicine until you felt relieved from air hunger?? Thank you so much for your time!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
(female)

Anneelise HB User

Hi there! I was on Synthroid, 25 mcg for several months. My doc upped it to 50 mcg, and after about 5 weeks on that dosage, my heart started racing! I called the doc, who advised taking the 25 mcg again. So I did, for about 4 weeks, when my heart AGAIN started racing! I stopped altogether. Meanwhile, I'd read about "adrenal insufficiency." I read that if you are under a lot of stress, or haven't had a lot of joy and balance in your life, your adrenals actually suffer. To test the adrenals, I visited a local compounding pharmacy, purchased a kit from ZRT labs (they are on the web, if you'd like to check them out). I took saliva tests for DHEA (the main adrenal hormone), Cortisol (the tests checked my cortisol at 4 different times per day), plus saliva tests for estrogen, progesterone, and testerone. The results? My DHEA is lower than normal, my Cortisol is higher than normal, and my estrogen-to=progesterone is too low. So, my gyne wrote me a prescription for sublingial DHEA drops (5 mg, 1x/day), and some progesterone cream. I'm on the 2nd week of the DHEA drops. Part of healing the adrenals also involves taking stress out of your life. I'm seriously thinking of taking unpaid time off of work, and considering a career change (I'm a hospital chaplain). I'm not sure about the adrenals being the cause of my air hunger, but I can tell you this: they (the experts) always advise to get your adrenals checked out and treated BEFORE you treat the thyroid. I think that my heart raced on synthroid because I didn't need synthroid--I needed adrenal boosting. May God lead you into truth and healing with this issue! May he do that for ALL of us ! I send you a hug !

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Thank you so much for the detailed information! Helps so much!! I also read about adrenal functions.. a book called "adrenal fatigue" by James L. Wilson. It really hit home for me. You're right, stress is a major factor. I too have been contemplating serious changes in my life. God has a plan for all of us and I'm sure we will be just fine in no time! ) Are you experiencing air hunger since it went away the first time???

Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
(female)

Anneelise HB User

That book is supposed to be really helpful! I haven't read it yet, just snatches from it from the internet. But I have a really helpful lady at our local compounding pharmacy who is patient and explains everything. Also, of course, I'm reading other books and internet info on adrenal function.
And yes, my air hunger did come back. It never really went away, only lessened with some factors. I started a gluten-free diet a while back, and while it hasn't exactly helped my air hunger, it has helped my once-rough skin (on my hands) to be very smooth now! My goodness, what a crazy experiment all of this has been!
Anyway, yes, I think the best thing is to find out all that we can, to try things (with reason and caution and wisdom), and to ask God for His help.
Also, one REALLY helpful thing for me is to remember, even when I'm having difficult air hunger, that it will pass. I just need to relax, sort of joke with myself, and go on !

The following user gives a hug of support to Anneelise:
Sinemg (05-09-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Anneelise For This Useful Post:
Sinemg (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Thank you again for all your input and being so positive!... I also read a book called "Hyperventilation Syndrome: Breathing Pattern Disorders and How to Overcome Them" by Dinah Bradley and it also helped me quite a bit and related to a whole lot of my symptoms. Check it out for your air hunger!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Hi Anneelise!

I was wondering how your air hunger has been with your focus on addressing and healing your adrenal function??

Old 06-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
(female)

Anneelise HB User

Hi! Thanks for asking! Well, I think I'm better. I've been taking the 5 drops of DHEA sublingual every day, and it has been about 2 months so far. I've noticed a definite improvement in my air hunger. And, I take a zinc tablet with dinner, which is supposed to cut down the cortisol. Plus, I'm on progesterone cream. Can't tell what that's doing for me, but since my ZRT lab saliva tests showed that I was low on DHEA and low on progesterone, I'm sure the supplementation will help.
So, all in all, YES! I am glad that I took the saliva tests to find these deficiencies. I've heard that building up the worn-down adrenals takes time--months, sometimes a year or more. So, I know it won't be an overnight process. But I'd strongly recommend anyone wondering about their own hormone levels to spring for the $150 test and see what's what. Have you taken the saliva tests? You can buy them online, or from a local compounding pharmacy. Have a great day!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
(female)

Sinemg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoss1 View Post
I actually AM noticing improvement ... between the new meds, sleeping elevated, and watching my food intake, I'm definitely seeing improvement.

After last night, if I wasn't convinced that it was my stomach, I definitely am now. Last night we had a fundraiser at the school - I mixed up lemonade for the attendees, and decided to taste some to make sure of how strong it was. I drank a tiny bit (about the size of a shot glass) and within about 10 minutes, I started having breathing problems. I know it's not allergy-related because I have drunk that brand of lemonade for years without issue. It was the acidity of the lemonade that did me in.

I'll continue to keep you updated - and wishing you a year of health and happiness as well!
Hi! I just wanted to thank you for posting about acid reflux/hiatal hernia.. I have air hunge for about 5 months STRAIGHT now.. (inability to take a deep satisfying breath.. constantly gasping for air that just doesnt show relief.. forcing yawns to get air in.. Ive also ruled out any lung or heart problems.. my gastro put me on nexium to see if its actually acid reflux.. the nexium gave me TERRIBLE headaches so after only 3 days i stopped.. now he wants me to trt prilosec until i see him on thursday.. i hope he does an endoscopy.. this is how he can discover esophageal irritation and hiatal hernia right??

I was wondering how your air hunger is these days!! And were your symptoms like my description above? I just want to get rid of this air hunger... i keep fighting and praying.. I know God is leading me in the right direction!!
Thanks for any input T!

Closed Thread