It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

Daniiii HB User
Pulmonologist and confusion

I'm confused. Yesterday I went to my pulmonologist. I told him I felt like I was wheezing. He listened to my lungs and did a spirometer(?) test, said my lungs sounded perfect, and my readings were good, the only way he would be able to tell is doing one of those challenge tests, which I scheduled.

I have a pretty bad cold, and today I feel short of breath, but I'm not coughing, only sneezing. Is it possible that this is an asthma symptom or part of the cold? My heart isnt beating fast, though I feel like its difficult to breathe, and I'm breathing sort of fast, I also felt it was difficult to breathe yesterday and he said I sounded really good.

If a pulmo says he cant tell if its asthma, and I need to take that challenge test to find out, is there a chance between now and then (the apts in 2 weeks) I'll have a horrible flare up? I just took my inhailer for feeling short of breath, and I still feel like I cant catch my breath. Anxiety? A cold? any input? thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Pulmonologist and confusion

I vote for the cold. Do you have a plan where you up your meds during cold or other respiratory infection? If so, proceed with it (like adding a puff of your steroid or your albuterol). But any respiratory problem can feel like asthma. I'd make sure I'm over before I did the challenge - unless, of course, you enjoying feeling like you've been run over by a Mack truck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

Daniiii HB User

Haha, thanks. The only thing I have now is a rescue inhailer. I went to the pulmo because I was on these boards and kinda realized if I have asthma I should be on a daily preventative, even thought I use my inhailer about once a year. I did take my inhailer today when I felt short of breath but it didnt do too much so, I'm hoping its just the horrible cold and we'll see what it really is when I go in 2 weeks!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You aren't on a daily med? THink I'd find another pulmo!

Keep us posted...

Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, if you almost never need your rescue inhaler, you might not need to be on a daily med. Many people with asthma do fine with a dose of albuterol once a month and nothing else.

If you use it more than once a week on average, or if you feel even a little short of breath on a regular basis, or if you have bad flareups more than about once a year, then you may need a daily medicine.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
(female)

jenn800 HB User

My daughter is having the same problem shes 14. i have taken her to the er 3 times and they can only say small wheeze and the xray shows light case of bronchitos. yet she is still having the chest pain and fast breathing. they put her back on albuteral again which in turn gives her a miagrane. i dont know what else to do she has been so bad as to where she hyperventilates too. if you find out something maybe it will be good news.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You definitely need to get your daughter to a pulmonologist for more advanced testing. There are medicines other than albuterol that can relieve her symptoms with fewer side effects.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
(female)

jenn800 HB User
Wink Re: Pulmonologist and confusion

she has had pulmacot and one other one in the past.she has an appointment tuesday with her resp.dr. thanks

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
(female)

Daniiii HB User

Well my problem is i have anxiety attacks and i feel like im wheezing, but no ones ever heard it. Asthma doesnt always mean you'll wheeze though, thats where im getting confused. I feel short of breath a lot of the time, and it ends up being me breathing too shallow, or panicing. Also I havent gone to a dr about my asthma since I was young because i never even knew why i was diagnosed with asthma to begin with. My mom told me when I was 5 I had croup and they heard a wheeze and said I had asthma, and since then I've always carried an inhailer.

But thanks to my anxiety lately I dont know whats what, but this site and all the members have helped tremendously. I always thought a wheeze meant asthma, now I know otherwise.

Hopefully the dr gets your daughter on some good daily meds to help her with her symptoms

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

People can wheeze without having asthma. It's common for young children to wheeze during a bad respiratory illness, and most of those children don't have asthma when grown.

But people (especially adult women) can have asthma without wheezing.

Here's how I see your situation: You know you have anxiety. Treat that now. If that doesn't fix the breathing problem, or if your breathing seems specifically triggered by things like exercise or going outside, then you may have asthma. (Do you have allergies or frequent skin rashes? That also makes asthma more likely.)

Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
(female)

Daniiii HB User

I tested positive for allergies to dogs and dust, but I've slept over peoples houses with dogs and never had a problem. I dont think i've ever had a rash in my life, though sometimes I get a stuffy nose in the spring and fall. As for exercise, I dont know how fast asthma can change, but in september and october I was riding my bicycle 20 miles a day without getting excessively out of breath, and I ride a stationary bike in the winter, just not the last month cause I dont know what I'm experiencing. I never cough though, even with this cold I have now.

Also neither of my parents has asthma, just seasonal allergies.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, so you might have mild allergies, but not major ones.

I still say, get the anxiety treated. Even if it IS a minor asthma attack, breathing slow and deep can help. (Obviously, if you have major difficulty breathing, seek emergency treatment!)

I CAN say that when my asthma is acting up, I get out of breath just walking up a couple flights of stairs. Anxiety doesn't do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Daniiii (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
(female)

Daniiii HB User

I have noticed that. A few nights ago I felt short of breath and I live less than 5 minutes from a hospital, so I decided to "test" myself and got on my bike for 20 min, trying to make myself worse, I actually ended up feeling better afterwards.

I'm just so unsure I always mix the 2 up. thank you so much

Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User

What could happen if we don't get treated if we have exercise induced asthma? Can we just avoid cardio/aerobic activities? I get severe heart beat and shortness of breathe where i have to open my mouth and gasp for breaths when walking up stairs (100 stairs?) and I woudl have to stop 2-3x. This has been ongoing for a few yrs but never got properly diagnosed so i never had it treated.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

If you have regular asthma or EIA, you should premedicate before cardio. That keeps you from having a problem during the exercise.

Closed Thread