It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

Pitzel HB User
Symbicort vs Dulera

My insurance company will no longer pay for Symbicort and said I had to use Dulera. I've used Dulera about a month now and it isn't working as well as Symbicort did. I find that I'm wheezing most of the day and using my short term rescue inhaler because of shortness of breath. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm have several allergies to everything that grows in the desert here in Tucson, Arizona and everything is blooming now and making me miserable. While on the Symbicort it wasn't so bad. I'll be discussing this with my allergist and pulmonary doctors to see if there is anything they can do to get me back on Symbicort. Has anyone else had this problem with Dulera?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Symbicort vs Dulera

It's available from Canada for $29 or $33 plus shipping depending on dosage

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Pitzel (02-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Both medicines have fomoterol, but they have different steroids. You may respond better to one than to the other. I have certainly noticed that, for me, fluticasone works better than other steroids. Or, depending on which strength you were taking before, you might not be getting enough steroid.

I can't imagine why the insurance company would order you to make that switch, I have to think the Dulera is MORE expensive, since it's brand new.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

Pitzel HB User
Smile Re: Symbicort vs Dulera

I don't know why my insurance company did this. I just know that I'm worse off on Dulera. Symbicort makes my breathing better. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Your doctor can write them that this change has caused you problems and ask that they allow you to get the Symbicort if you don't want to buy it from Canada.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That's a good idea! My mother did that when insurance forced her to switch BP meds and the new one gave her hives.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
(male)

rdmares HB User

Hi, I get Thrush with Dulera, and a previous medicine, I am now going to try Symbicort

Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

No matter which one you use, be sure to rinse your mouth out after using.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Remember, it's very important that you rinse your mouth right after taking your medicine, every time. A spacer might help prevent thrush. Also, the inhaler Alvesco is less likely to cause thrush than other steroids, because of the way it's designed.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
(female)

Bonnie Lynn HB User

My doctor just switched me to Dulera. I was taking Symbicort, but I've never rinsed my mouth out. My doctor did tell me to be sure to rinse my mouth out and it's even on my prescription box to rinse my mouth out after taking Dulera. Since I haven't been rinsing my mouth out with Symbicort, is it really necessary to do it with Dulera. I've noticed that there's a minut taste to this Dulera. I didn't ever taste Symbicort after my puffs. The only reason the doctor gave me for switching is that Dulera has smaller particles that get deeper into the lungs. I'm not sure if I exactly like Dulera, but I just started it a couple days ago.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rinsing your mouth after taking your daily asthma medicine reduces the risk of throat irritation, sore gums, and thrush. If you aren't having trouble, great, but you should still do it.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
(female)

corkee HB User
Cool Re: Symbicort vs Dulera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitzel View Post
My insurance company will no longer pay for Symbicort and said I had to use Dulera. I've used Dulera about a month now and it isn't working as well as Symbicort did. I find that I'm wheezing most of the day and using my short term rescue inhaler because of shortness of breath. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm have several allergies to everything that grows in the desert here in Tucson, Arizona and everything is blooming now and making me miserable. While on the Symbicort it wasn't so bad. I'll be discussing this with my allergist and pulmonary doctors to see if there is anything they can do to get me back on Symbicort. Has anyone else had this problem with Dulera?

I had the same thing happen to me. I was using Symbicort and the insurance company would't pay for Symbicort unless I tried two other ones first which was Asmanex and Dulera. I tried Asmanex a couple years ago and it worked well but then it got taken off the market so I got switched to Symbicort. About a month or so ago I found out insurance wouldn't pay for Symbicort unless I tried Dulera. I'm finding that it is not working as well as the Symbicort which I only needed to use about twice a week. Now with the Dulera I am using it everyday! I first thought it was the weather because it is humid in SD in the summer and I blamed it on the humidity but after seeing this I know I'm not alone now. I am currently using the 100 mcg/5 mcg dosage of Dulera and it is available in a 200 mcg/5 mcg. I am going to talk to my doctor to see if I can try the 200 mcg/5 mcg and see what happens with the higher dose.

Closed Thread