It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

Daniiii HB User
Question about spirometery test

I had one done about 2 months ago. I didnt see the results but the allergist (thats whose office I had it at) said I had nothing to worry about.

I just saw a pulmonologist a week ago and he didnt do a spirometer test ( he had the results from my other doctor), and said the only way to tell if I had asthma is if I took a challenge test.

My peak flows are always good (always withing 10% of my best which is 500), I was wondering how long a spirometer test thingy is good for? Should my pulmo have done another one?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Question about spirometery test

Unless you are having a flareup, spirometry every 6-12 months should be plenty. If your breathing gets significantly worse, it might be time for new tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User

What's a challenge test?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
(female)

Daniiii HB User

A challenge test is a Methacholine challenge test. Its where a dr monitors your breathing, measures it on room air, then gives you certain amounts of methacholine, which will induce an asthma attack. They take measurements of your breathing after each dose, and if theres a change before a certain amount (my drs office does 5 doses, up to 18% methacholine) they say its positive for asthma and give you a breathing treatment immediately.

If you go through all the stages without change in your breathing then its considered negative for asthma, they give you a breathing treatment at the end anyways.

Miine took about an hour and a half because I ended up testing negative, and each level of methacholine takes like 5 to 10 minutes to do, so its a lengthy process but everyone says its the best way to tell if you have asthma or if its something else (in my case its anxiety, grrr).

Closed Thread