It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

marrrasmom HB User
Dizziness before an attack?

So, I have been trying for the last two years to figure out what is going on with me. My doctors are certain that asthma is my issue, but they say it is mild. My biggest problem is I have a really hard time recognizing my triggers, but I think weather and changes in weather is a huge one for me. Today, while at work, I was feeling dizzy and just kind of off. I went to sit at my desk because the dizziness seemed to be worse when I was standing and moving about. Shortly after returning to my desk, my asthma flared up. My breathing got really rapid, my chest felt like I had this pressure. I immediately used my inhaler, which helped calm my breathing. Then the coughing started and my chest hurt. I have never felt dizzy before an attack, has anyone else ever had this happen? It really scared me...Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User
Re: Dizziness before an attack?

Do you have trouble with allergies or sinuses? They can cause an attack & also sometimes make you feel a little dizzy, at least mine do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

I do have problems with allergies, but when they did my allergy test, something went wrong. I had no reaction to the control, so I don't think it was accurate. The results were that I wasn't allergic to anything, but if I dust my house, or the ragweed pollen kicks up, I am miserable and in a world of hurt. My asthma is worse if I run outdoors compared to running indoors. I do premedicate, because if not exercising is not an option. I just don't have the normal warning signs, and for me it is hard to figure out what my triggers are. I did have this odd feeling in my chest like all day. Oddly enough, since my attack, the dizziness isn't as bad, and I feel a little bit better. My chest is still sore, but I know that is normal, because it happens every time my asthma flares up.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It may be that dizziness is a warning sign for you. That feeling in your chest might also be a warning sign.

Maybe you should have your allergy testing repeated, maybe subdermal tests rather than scratch tests. My scratch tests missed about half my allergies, but the subdermal tests are more sensitive. (They are also more painful and have a higher false positive rate, which is why skin scratch testing is preferred.)

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

I am feeling a little bit better today. Yesterday's flare up wore me out...is that normal to be tired and drowsy the rest of the day after an attack? I still feel a little dizzy and my chest still has that weird feeling like an attack is pending. I took all my meds this morning, so hopefully there won't be any attacks today. My chest just feels off, hard to describe the exact feeling.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, it's normal to feel badly for a few days after an attack. How long depends on how severe the attack was. Do you know what might have caused the attack? Have there been any drastic weather changes, or extreme cold? Are you sick?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

Definitely not coming down with any colds or flus, but the weather did change Monday afternoon. This started after my run Monday, and has been flaring up since. Unfortunately, it flared up again today. They are mild flare ups, but usually for me they stay mild for a few days. Sometimes, the medicine works, but sometimes it gets worse. I just feel so drowsy the rest of the day, and I have a cough. What is weird this time is the dizziness, but after the flare up, the dizziness is gone for the most part. I have never gotten dizzy before. It is not like pass out dizzy, but I feel like I can't breathe well and dizzy to where I want to sit down. I didn't realize I have so much more to learn about this. Thank goodness for this forum...it is great to have people out there that are going through the same thing to help, even if it is just an ear to talk to!!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I always feel tired and off for about 24 hours after I have an asthma attack. My Dr said that is normal.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

So today is day number 4 where my chest feels odd, I am dizzy, and just feel out of it. My attacks haven't been very severe, but I have been having one a day for the last three days, and feel like another will happen today. I am wondering if my medication needs to be adjusted. I am taking Advair 100/50, Singulair (once a day), Ventolin (2 puffs, 4-6 hours, as needed), and Astelin
(2 sprays per nostril twice a day). I was on Advair 250/50 and I only had symptoms here are there. I don't feel like I need to be seen at the ER, but should I use the Ventolin more than as needed, until I can get back to normal? Sorry for all the questions, but I am a newbie still and have only had an episode like this once before which landed me in the ER, but it was much worse than this one.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

You might want to give your Doctor a call and get a burst of prednisone. My Dr said anytime I am feeling bad for a few days in a row like that I can call and get prednisone. That way you can avoid another trip to the ER.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

I would recommend seeing the dr. It's possible that its not the asthma, or might be something else aggravating the asthma that's making you feel weird.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday as that was the earliest they could get me in. I just hope I make it until then without having to go to the ER. I had another mild attack today, with the same dizziness, shortness of breath, chest tightness, cough. Unfortunately I have to deal with the military medical system and they won't just give me something...I always have schedule an appointment, even though I can pretty much guarantee that he will give me a short dose of prednisone and up my advair. Just hate that I have been feeling this way for the last four days. Hoping this clears up soon!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

When you go in, ask if you can have a script of extra meds or a "yellow zone action plan" the next time you start flaring.

Meanwhile, stay away from cold or dirty air. As long as you are feeling badly, take it easy and don't overexert.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

So, another flare up today. I was able to get a hold of my doctor and he prescribed me a 5 day dose of prednisone. I still have my appointment with him Monday, but hoping the prednisone works for me! So these flare ups start very suddenly and my breathing gets really rapid. At the same time I have an awkward, weird feeling in my chest, which then feels tight. Then the coughing starts, if I haven't taken my inhaler yet. Does anyone else experience attacks like this?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrrasmom View Post
... Today, while at work, I was feeling dizzy and just kind of off. I went to sit at my desk because the dizziness seemed to be worse when I was standing and moving about. Shortly after returning to my desk, my asthma flared up.
When first attacked by allergens, pollen, irritants, etc., the metabolism tries to come to the rescue by pumping out all kinds of "protective" hormones. Each individual can react somewhat differently to the increase in hormones, ranging from fatigue, to dizziness, to tiredness, to feeling quite ill, to nausea, to pain, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrrasmom
So today is day number 4 where my chest feels odd, I am dizzy, and just feel out of it.
Not only is the Asthma stressful to one's body, the excess "protective" hormones in the blood stream can make one feel quite ill, IMHO.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-11-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
asthma, cough, dizziness