It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
(male)

Kenn44 HB User
Talking pulmonologist

I am going to see a pulmonologist for the first time tomorrow and am a little nervous. I don't know what to what to expect or what tests they may perform. I was diagnosed with asthma as well as sleep apnea over a year ago. That made me nervous as well, because I'm certified scuba diver and don't know if I'll be able to now, since my dx of asthma. If someone could give me an answer on my first visit to the pulmonologist or if I'll be able to scuba dive again.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: pulmonologist

On my first visit to my Pulmonologist, he sat and talked with me for an extended period of time. He did a thorough health history first. He discussed all areas of my heath, what my asthmatic symptoms were, what medications were, what had worked/not worked, when my symptoms were worse, asked other related questions, etc... He also discussed what I was doing preventatively as well. He then did a bit of a physical with the focus on listening to my lungs. He also had me do a chest x-ray on-site as well.

After my exam, he also scheduled me for Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT's) as well. During that test, they have you blow repeatedly into a tube in various ways in order to get a sense of how the lungs are functioning. I had a follow-up appointment with him after those results came in.

I left my first appointment with a detailed individual asthma action plan as well. (If you are interested in info about asthma action plans, I have a couple previous posts detailing what they typically look like.) If you have asthma and the Pulmonologist dosn't offer you an asthma action plan, then make a point of asking for one. They are extremely important in helping you manage your asthma.

I think your pulmonologist will be able to advise you on the scuba diving once he has examined you, learned more about your concerns and done any testing they feel necessary. I know many people with asthma are able to scuba dive when their asthma is under control.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
(male)

Kenn44 HB User

I greatly appreciate that, I am kind of nervous. Since my very first asthma attach over a year ago, it comes and goes, so it's not a frequent thing. However, I do have days where I use my inhaler more than other days. I have had 3 chest x-rays since my dx of asthma, but the x-rays come back as normal. It's confusing, how I have these attacks, sometimes mild sometime severe, but nothing shows up on the x-rays. thamks for the info.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Asthma doesn't usually show up on xrays. So don't stress over that!

Closed Thread