It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

ONgirlinAB HB User
Intro - and a diagnosis

Hi. I haven't posted on the asthma board before, just on a few others. My name is Lisa. I'm 40, married and have a 4 year old girl and 2 year old boy.

A bit of history on my son - His issues started around a year, just after he was weaned. At first it was a constant 'wet' chest, then constant nasal drainage, then reflux and regurgitation, eczema and general ill health. He had his adenoid out a year ago which has helped a lot. He also has had several bouts of bronchitis, bronchiolitis, tonsillitis and pneumonia. He never just gets a cough/cold; it always turns into something else. He has had episodes while fighting a virus of decreased oxygen saturations. Our pediatrician believes he has asthma, and this doctor has been treating asthma in children for 30 years.

My son had been on FloVent and Ventolin for about 18 months, on and off until he was diagnosed with asthma and then he started on the FloVent every day, not just while sick.

Last month he came down with a cold but also had a fever. He was pale and lethargic. I took him to the urgent care clinic and he was there for 8 hours on oxygen, dex, atrovent and ventolin. His sats were never over 90 and went as low as 75 at one point. The doctor stated that he did not meet the criteria for discharge and that they would probably transfer him to the hospital. That never happened. They sent us home anyway and a few hours later he was pale, his lips were blue and we had to call 911. After 20 hours in the ER he was admitted and spent 4 days on oxygen, dex, alvesco and ventolin. His tests results were positive for RSV. After day 3 they slowly weaned him off the oxygen and he was able to maintain sats in the mid to high 90s. I think once his body got a handle on the virus he really bounced back.

We have a definitive diagnosis of asthma now and a change in his meds routine. The Alvesco has done wonders for him. It's like he has more energy now than he did before he got sick with the RSV. I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know some of you better.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: ONgirlinAB
janewhite1 (02-11-2012), MountainReader (02-15-2012), vermonsters (02-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
(female)

ames1210 HB User
Re: Intro - and a diagnosis

Hi,

At 9 months, my 2nd daughter was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease. The doctor gave me a nebulizer to give her whenever she got a cold. Each time she got a cold, she ended up with something "terrible." Pneumonia, RSV, bronchitis - you name it, she got it.

When she was four, the peds finally diagnosed her with "asthma" b/c she never outgrew the RAD. She takes FloVent daily and albuterol as needed (usually with a cold).

This is the first winter (she's 5 now), that she hasn't had to be "rescued" with the albuterol. I think that the daily FloVent has made such a big difference in daily health. She will still occasionaly wheeze with a common cold, but nothing like it used to be.

I'm glad your son seems to be doing better. Hopefully, as he grows, it won't be so stressful and you will be able to control the asthma better.

Closed Thread