It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
(male)

pill HB User
moderately severe obstruction of the lungs as diagnosis?

My doctor is saying that I may have asthma or something else affecting my lungs. Basically I have had a wheezing moderate to heavy cough for the last couple of years and had bronchitis as a kid. I don't really smoke, maybe a couple of cigerettes or a cigar a couple of days out of the year at the very most, I also scuba dive but not regularly so not sure what could have caused this diagnosis.

I went down to Bogota, Colombia to see my wife and was having a lot of medical problems and chest pains with what I thought was possibly my heart and felt shortness of breath. Bogota is about 8,000 feet above sea level and so breathing there is a little bit more difficult than Florida where I live in the US. After just feeling really bad in general, my wife had me go to a doctor in Bogota and I was found to have some other medical problems, but when the doctor listened to my breathing, he said that it sounded like one of the lungs the diaphragm on the right lung was not equal to the left lung. My spanish is not all that great so I did not really understand what in all he was explaining but he stated that because of the elevation, that can affect breathing at higher altitudes in Bogota. They prescribed me a medication called Iltux HCT Olmesartan Medoxomil Hidroclorotiazida which is Olmesartan (Benicar) in the US, this is a high blood pressure medication so i'm not sure if this was specifically used to treat the issues i was having with breathing or not but I went scuba diving in San Andres island and my lungs felt fine a couple of days later.

When I came back to the US the doctor told me to cease taking any of the drugs I received from Colombia and that they were going to do their own diagnosis, they did find the same issues the doctor found in Colombia after having to make multiple visits and I failed the breathing test they gave me which you have to take 3 large breaths and blow out. The diagnosis said "Moderately severe obstruction of the lungs". I had x-rays taken and my lungs were fine, blood tests were fine too.

The doctor went over the diagnosis with me and I had stated I had a cold when I took the test which may have impacted it, the doctor said since the x-rays checked out fine, they were going to try to prescribe me some medication to clear up the cold and try again in a week to two weeks. I was issued Azithromycin 250 mg and fluticasone propionate nasal spray 50 mcg. The new medication doesn't seem to really be doing anything for me but now I am concerned if this means I have asthma or if this is treatable, if I will never be able to scuba dive again, that kind of thing.

I'm not sure what would have caused this because I didn't seem to have any issues less than a month ago, I felt fine with the exception I had heavy coughing a lot but it was mainly from a dry throat.

When I got back into the United States, the doctors also noticed some irregular breathing

The following user gives a hug of support to pill:
pattipain (03-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: moderately severe obstruction of the lungs as diagnosis?

Sounds like you might have asthma. There is no reason to believe you can't dive with it though. We asthmatics can do most anything everyone else does - you may just have to premedicate. Stick with the treatment plan from the pulmonologist - assume that's the kind of doc you saw.

And a dry cough is an asthma symptom.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
(male)

pill HB User

Is there a cure to asthma? Or a way to treat it to where I don't have to use a inhaler if I get diagnosed with asthma? I've never had an attack or anything like that, i'm wondering if it could be anything other than asthma. I've always felt kind of faint and had some problems with catching my breath after working out but I thought maybe it was something else.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, there is no cure for asthma, only the steroid inhaler treatment along with a rescue inhaler for attacks and premedicating. I wish there was a cure! But it sounds like you've had a long line of symptoms and just didn't realize what was going on.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
(male)

pill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
No, there is no cure for asthma, only the steroid inhaler treatment along with a rescue inhaler for attacks and premedicating. I wish there was a cure! But it sounds like you've had a long line of symptoms and just didn't realize what was going on.
I was watching youtube and there were some people claiming they cured asthma with Zithromax or something. Are the videos primarily fake?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Zithromax is an antibiotic (commonly known as a Z Pak). Asthma isn't an infection. It's damage - permanent damage. If Z pak could cure asthma, mine would have been gone 2 sinus infections ago...

Closed Thread