It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

Artemis95 HB User
Questions concerning Advair

My doctor prescribed Advair Diskus 250/50 a few days ago and I had never used a diskus inhaler before. I follow the instructions, but when I breathe in I get powder in my tongue, it's very visible, I can feel it and taste it. No matter how many times try to do it right and I'm pretty sure my tongue is not in the way, powder always ends up there. I'm not even sure if any medicine is going into my lungs at all, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Does this happen to you? The one thing I know for sure is my cough isn't getting better.

I just found out there's actually a MDI version of Advair, I wish I had bought that one instead because Ventolin has always been easy to use, and I could always use a spacer if I had trouble.

My second and final question is: my doctor told me to use Advair for a week only, then I'm supposed to stop. Thing is I read the medicine only starts working about 2 weeks later, so why would my doctor tell me to take this if it will never start working for me? does this make any sense? I've never used long-term inhalers before. I'm still coughing, I don't feel any better after taking Advair.

The Following User Says Thank You to Artemis95 For This Useful Post:
deb5046us (03-04-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Questions concerning Advair

That's common with the diskus meds. For what were you prescribed it? You said you'd never used a long term inhaler before so I assume you don't have asthma.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Artemis95 (02-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

Artemis95 HB User

wow thanks for replying so fast! glad it's a normal thing to happen.

I'm not sure what I have to be honest. Started with nasal congestion, the next day my chest started feeling really tight, like someone was sitting on top of me, and I started breathing really fast for no reason, I couldn't catch my breath. I cough a lot too, so much my throat is irritated and my voice is hoarse now. It's been like this for almost 2 weeks now. Seems to get worse at night. I'm not wheezing though, that has never happened to me, so I guess it can't be asthma.
I just have no idea why my doctor told me to take Advair for 1 week if it only starts working after 2 weeks. It's no use I suppose.

Last edited by Artemis95; 02-25-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

First of all, one doesn't have to wheeze to have asthma! I don't know why people think that. And inhaled steroids are often given for bonchitis and other lung issues - short term. The 2 weeks is an indication for controling asthma.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

Artemis95 HB User

I know you may not be able to hear any wheezing, but I assume the doctor will still be able to hear it with a stethoscope, isn't that right? In my case, no wheezing is heard, not even with a stethoscope. I've been to a few doctors and all of them say it can't be asthma because they can't hear any wheezing. I'm not sure anymore, maybe I'm seeing the wrong ones.

It seems bronchitis and asthma have very similar symptoms. I'll look into it

Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I have asthma and I don't wheeze. I get chest tightness and shortness of breath when I'm having an asthma attack.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Are you seeing a pulmonologist? I suspect you are not. No, one does not have to have any wheezing, heard by any method, at any time, any place, no way, no where in order to have asthma. Mine shows up as a cough and chest tightness. Why haven't you asked the doctor for a diagnosis of what you have? I think that's the first step.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
(female)

Artemis95 HB User

thanks for clearing that up. No, I've only seen GPs so far but it's evident they aren't doing a good enough job here, so I'm definitely going to a pulmonologist next time. They usually just say it's a bad cold and prescribe lots of meds, from inhalers to ibuprofen to nasal sprays to allergy pills. It seems like they're not sure what is wrong so they'll give me 5 different meds in hopes one of them does the trick. Yeah, I'm definitely not going to a GP again.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

I have been on Advair for awhile now, and it works great for me. It takes a little while to get used to the powder, but as long as I continue to take it I am good. I have asthma, but my usual symptoms are rapid breathing, followed by chest tightness, and a cough. I don't ever wheeze either. Did you go see a pulmonologist? I would recommend going to see one and get tested, just to make sure whether or not it is asthma, because then you will need to be on the Advair on a continuous basis. Plus asthma can be dangerous if left untreated. All the best!

Closed Thread