It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

marrrasmom HB User
Running with Asthma

I went for a jog this morning. I made sure that I used my inhaler 15 minutes before I began my run. I ran about 1.5 miles. As soon as I got done running I had shortness of breath and my chest was burning. I waited to see if I could get my breathing regular on my own, but wound up using my inhaler again. The burning sensation I had lasted for a good 10-15 minutes. I technically have not been diagnosed with asthma yet, but my pulmonologist is treating all my symptoms with asthma medications. My advair was recently adjusted to the 250/50, I take Singulair once a day, and Astelin twice a day. Is the burning sensation in my chest something that people with asthma experience when running. It was horrible, felt like my chest was so tight and really hard to breathe. I had no wheezing though, but I never wheeze, or at least I haven't yet. I am just hoping that whatever I have isn't asthma, but I have been battling this for two years now and I can't seem to find a decent doctor these days. Just really annoying! I feel that if I knew what was wrong I could work better and harder avoid whatever is out there causing me to have these episodes. Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Running with Asthma

You used your rescue inhaler (albuterol) right? 2 puffs, 60 seconds apart, 15 to 20 minutes before jogging is the norm. I do that and have no problems as a rule. After a 5K I may have some coughing but with my usual time of 36 minutes and 15 to 20 minutes added for remedicating, that puts me close to the one hour time frame for its usufulness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Aside from some coughing, my biggest asthma symptom is that "burning" feeling.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

marrrasmom HB User

I use my inhaler 2 puffs, about one minute apart, 15 minutes before my run every time. After I run, I am always coughing and hacking, my chest feels tight and it burns...oddly enough, my nose runs a lot too! I tried to change up my breathing to where I breath through my nose, but then I feel like I can't breath at all. I hate that I am that uncomfortable after a run and wish there was something I could do to fix it. I don't even jog very fast, just a light jog and I have these issues almost every time I run. I know asthmatics are supposed to continue to exercise and I want to run, but goodness, some days I just don't want to deal with it. Any suggestions or ideas?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, my nose always runs too but that's sinusitis related. I do sometimes cough after a run but usually only when it's longer than my normal 2 miles...like when I do a 5 K. and I sometimes have aburning feeling - depends on the weather. I just gut thru it when it happens. It goes away in a minute or two.

And just to double check since you didn't reply before - you are using your rescue inhaler, correct????

Last edited by Titchou; 03-01-2012 at 04:10 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
asthma, burning chest, running