It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
(female)

littledove777 HB User
inhaled steroid ?

i have severe persistent asthma am on qvar 40mcg have taken 160 symbicort/500advair/220 flovent/160 alvesco/and formetoral seperate had adverse side effects on all allergic reaction cardiac and super severe mood disturbances on higher doses effecting me within the first 30 mins of inhalation and it took 4 times using qvar and i wheze for 2 days and i have to use quick inhaler every 2 hours then it goes back to 4 to 6 i only take it once a week cause side effects are horrible havent told doc yet after 2 days of not taking im back to normal for high doses and the low dose one day so is it worth taking qvar once a week does it help at all for inflamation a little bit? cause every day one inhalation twice a day is not worth the side effect i have things i have to take care of then be in psych hospital side effects do not out weigh risks here and im on my last steroid out there and ideas

Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: inhaled steroid ?

Symbcort, Advair and fomoterol all contain a LABA, which can have many nasty side effects, including rapid heart rate and anxiety.

But Flovent and Qvar also causes you mood disturbances? That is uncommon.

Still, any inhaled steroid is better than none. Try taking it as often as you can tolerate. Talk to your doctor about alternatives, including an anticholinergic inhaler such as Atrovent.

Do you know your triggers? If you have allergic asthma, you can use antihistamines to reduce attacks. Xolair is also an option.

I know how stressful this must be. Hang in there.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
littledove777 (03-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

littledove777 HB User

im also allergic to atrovent and formetorol the steroids i took in high doses are flovent ciclocinide or alvesco what is in symbicort and advair the ones with steroids all made me feel insane i got to take formeterol and atrovent and both were the same lots of mucus and wheezing and with atrovent broncho constriction alvesco also had cardiac effects in severe pain across the chest when i have taken oral steroids it was very difficult to keep down they usually came up within 10 mins even the shot causes mood disorder otherwise im fine and my insurance wont approve xolair unless im on a high dose steroid which my family said almost landed me in the psych hospital about ready to play the dumb card as in ya go ahead stick me on the 640 mcg inhaled a day ill go get it from the pharmacy and deposit it in the nearest circlular file place and say yup am taking it so maybe they will put me on xolair with qvar at 40 mcg one inhalation twice a day it just took longer to lose it so to speak 5 days where is one puff of 160 mcg makes me lose it in 30 mins so i have reduced to one puff once a week and i pick a day i stay away from people all day and load up on klonopin for the day so i dont do something crazy have to take 5 mg of klonopin to control symptoms from steroid in my case the side efects are not over ruling the benefits for me i see none

Last edited by littledove777; 03-18-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: need to add on

Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Steroids do have mental side effects. I've experienced that myself from the pills, although luckily I can tolerate the inhaled steroids.

Some allergists' staff members have a lot of experience at get Xolair approvals. If you can document that you tried MANY inhaled steroids and had to quit due to side effects, that MIGHT get Xolair approved for you.

Do you have any mental health records from the time you were on them? That actually might help.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
littledove777 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

littledove777 HB User

unfortunately i dont have any mental health records to coralate my husband has seen my mood changes lukily a few puffs from a cigerette and klonopin help to reduce the major mood changes but i dont plan on going back smoking went to docs yesterday told about problems with qvar took me off of it and wouldnt listen to me about the high dose steroids causing problems put me on 440 mcg a day of flovent took the 220 for the morning and did the above i also actuallly threw up after taking this one is that a serious reaction am going to start using a spacer and allow time for the medicine to be reduced and see if i throw up from that and im only going to take it once a week got another referal to pulmonologist will see if he listens or not doc said shes going to put me on oral but last 3 times i threw those up in 5 mins are these allergic reactions?will add more later cant afford to get to doc till may so bb then any ideas on help from over counter meds

Closed Thread