It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
Asthma is ruining my allergy shot schedule...

So I have been feeling really good lately, I had gone a month with no albuterol at all. Then Tuesday night I had a mild attack and used my rescue inhaler. It was really windy that day and I think the wind kicked up too much crap in the air. Today I had to use it again. I tend to be sensitive for a day or two after I've had an attack and I had to sit in a meeting at work full of people wearing perfume- it pushed me too far and I had to excuse myself and use my inhaler.

I'm supposed to get my allergy shot tomorrow. Do I skip it? I know I'm not supposed to get my shot if my asthma is bothering me. My peak flows have still been good this week. I already skipped Wednesday so tomorrow will mark a week since my last shot, I know I'm not supposed to go more than week.

Appreciate any advice?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
(female)

amehaffey HB User
Re: Asthma is ruining my allergy shot schedule..

Since allergies are what is causing your asthma to act up (as does mine), I would definately still get your allergy shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I agree. Go.. this early on with as low a dose as you are having, it shouldn't be a problem. You could mention it to the shot nurse but if you are breathing OK, then it should be alright to do it.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Thanks for your replies! I'll take my peak flow before I head over to the Allergist, as long as that's normal I'll go ahead and get the shot. I definitely don't want to get off schedule.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

You guys were right, it was all good. I went first thing this morning and my peak flow was fine, so they gave me the shot. No issues. Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
(female)

amehaffey HB User

Glad they gave it to you. It should help with your flare ups!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amehaffey View Post
Glad they gave it to you. It should help with your flare ups!
Here's hoping! I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but a girl can dream!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Nyclin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeezerWheezer View Post
I know I'm not supposed to get my shot if my asthma is bothering me.
Appreciate any advice?
Does your doc explain why this is so? I am just wondering because I used to get my shot no matter what. My asthma has been gone for years now...just curious.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Because if your allergies are a trigger for your asthma (arent for everyone) the shot could exacerbate your attack.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
(female)

Yes, my Allergist said that shot patients with asthma have an increased chance for a bad reaction if their asthma is bothering them. Since you are being injected with your allergens, you have the potential for asthma problems if your asthma is not well controlled. They recorded my average peak flow (475) and they won't give me my shot if my peak flow reading is under 400. They make me do a peak flow before each shot.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Nyclin HB User
Re: Asthma is ruining my allergy shot schedule...

Wow, My doc never said anything about that. Either he was dumb (LOL) or they really didn't think of that back in the 90s??? IDK, but it makes perfect sense. I would get my shot every week whether it was bothering me or not...Well actually, he never asked...so who knows. I'm just happy I outgrew it.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Re: Asthma is ruining my allergy shot schedule...

Well, it depends if your asthma is impacted by your allergies. If it isn't, then it doesn't matter. My allergies have no impact on my asthma...so it really never mattered when I got my shots. My asthma is bothered by cold and mostly drastic atmospheric changes and cardio - otherwise, I never notice I have it.

Closed Thread