It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

Emcd84 HB User
Exclamation Breathless, allergy, AO Asthma? Please advise worried...

I was hoping some of you that suffer with Asthma could give me some advise or thoughts on the recent symptoms I have.
I'm 27, Female, mum, I do suffer with Anxiety but this is not related to the the following symptoms I would like advise on.

Since Dec 11 I have had a chonic cough, along with nasal drip. Over the weeks it turned into me coughing up green phlegm and chest pains. The GP thought it maybe a chest infection although the chest sounded clear so put me on Amoxicillin.

Jan- the green phlegm had gone but remained thick and clear, the coughing remained. At night I would cough so bad it would wake me up. Dry couch mostly. End of January I has a bad throat infection and again chest was clear got given other antibiotics.

Feb/march- cough remained, throat cleared up...the mucus and phelm started to increase in amount. Yellow in the morning, clear for the rest of the day...coughing sounded rattly with the mucus in the throat doctor said chest sounded clear?
Now April...I still have this problem, I went back to the doctor saying the coughing is giving me nightmare and the mucus and phlegm is constant...yellow in the mornings thick clear bubbly in the day.

He said he thinks its an allergy as the cheat is clear and had given me beconase nasal spray. I have as well been steaming twice a day.

It's been 2 weeks since I have seen him...the mucus is still here, the cough is still here mucusy sounding in the day, dry at nights. Today I woke up with bad upper back pain when breathing in.
I have also been breathless the last few days which is constant not little episodes...like I've been for a massive run and just stopped..trying to catch breath.

What is an Astma attack? My cousins had asthma when they were younger but I don't remember what happened.

Is it possible this could be my problem? A-Onset Asthma as a complication from my allergy problem

I've never been offered a chest Xray or anything...every time they listen to my chest they say it's clear. I'm baffled but starting to worry about the breathing,

He told me my nostrils looked swollen inside when he checked could this mean anything.

I'm going to ring for an emergency appointment tomorrow but would really like to know your experience and get some Information to ask the doctor.

I smoke, have a dog with a skin condition so she scratches and malts quite bad (short haired dog)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Breathless, allergy, AO Asthma? Please advise worried...

It could be asthma or just lingering effects of the chest infection - sounds like it was bronchitis or pneumonia. A pulmonary function test should be able to determine that. Could also just be allergies with post nasal drip. You might try getting them under control as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
(female)

patient161 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcd84 View Post
I was hoping some of you that suffer with Asthma could give me some advise or thoughts on the recent symptoms I have.
I'm 27, Female, mum, I do suffer with Anxiety but this is not related to the the following symptoms I would like advise on.

Since Dec 11 I have had a chonic cough, along with nasal drip. Over the weeks it turned into me coughing up green phlegm and chest pains. The GP thought it maybe a chest infection although the chest sounded clear so put me on Amoxicillin.

Jan- the green phlegm had gone but remained thick and clear, the coughing remained. At night I would cough so bad it would wake me up. Dry couch mostly. End of January I has a bad throat infection and again chest was clear got given other antibiotics.

Feb/march- cough remained, throat cleared up...the mucus and phelm started to increase in amount. Yellow in the morning, clear for the rest of the day...coughing sounded rattly with the mucus in the throat doctor said chest sounded clear?
Now April...I still have this problem, I went back to the doctor saying the coughing is giving me nightmare and the mucus and phlegm is constant...yellow in the mornings thick clear bubbly in the day.

He said he thinks its an allergy as the cheat is clear and had given me beconase nasal spray. I have as well been steaming twice a day.

It's been 2 weeks since I have seen him...the mucus is still here, the cough is still here mucusy sounding in the day, dry at nights. Today I woke up with bad upper back pain when breathing in.
I have also been breathless the last few days which is constant not little episodes...like I've been for a massive run and just stopped..trying to catch breath.

What is an Astma attack? My cousins had asthma when they were younger but I don't remember what happened.

Is it possible this could be my problem? A-Onset Asthma as a complication from my allergy problem

I've never been offered a chest Xray or anything...every time they listen to my chest they say it's clear. I'm baffled but starting to worry about the breathing,

He told me my nostrils looked swollen inside when he checked could this mean anything.

I'm going to ring for an emergency appointment tomorrow but would really like to know your experience and get some Information to ask the doctor.

I smoke, have a dog with a skin condition so she scratches and malts quite bad (short haired dog)
Hi I have the exact same prob I do not smoke, but I do have asthma all my life. My doc has put it down to this and increased my medication from Inhalers to nebolisers every six hours. I have also been put on steroids but to no avail. Like you I am worse when trying to sleep at night I reckon this is because all the mucous is lying on my chest then. I don't Have wheezy or A temperature

I am very frustrated though as nothing seems to be helping, all the while I can hardly walk down the stairs with out looking like I ran a marathon breathing through a straw.

I hope you get answers, if you do let me know, or if I do I will be sure to drop another post.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

In my experience when you're coughing up green phlegm it means you have a significant infection in your chest and the fact that your chest sounds clear doesn't mean much since it was the same when you were coughing up the green gunk. I've had chest infections like this and my doc didn't put me on amoxycillin, I don't remember the name but each time I was put on a very strong antibiotic to knock it down. It's time to tell your doctor you want a chest xray to check for pneumonia, because the most common symptoms are trouble breathing and shortness of breath, couching up mucus, and an elevated heart rate following an initial chest infection. When you have pneumonia your lungs aren't functioning properly and your oxygen levels drop which causes the shortness of breath, and once you have it, it puts a lot of strain on your body and makes it even harder to fight off the infection. Don't mess around, tell them you want a chest xray to find out what's going on.

It sounds like your doc may have made a mistake by putting you on a run of the mill antibiotic in the first place which is fine for your average infection, but it's not strong enough for a bad chest infection like this. It may have dented the chest infection but not cured it and now it's slowly taken hold of your lungs.

Last edited by captjane; 01-11-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Closed Thread