It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User
Constant coughing

I ran out of albuterol (salbutamol)last night and had attack. It took a while but thankfully it was around the time I took my symbicort dose. I was able to get albuterol today. I took cough syrup last night so I could sleep. I have been coughing constantly yesterday and today. My inhaler lessens the coughing slightly but not much. If I start coughing too hard then it brings on a really bad attack. I don't want to take a lot of cough medicine unless absolutely necessary since I rely on it to sleep. Is it true that the constant coughing is a sign that my asthma is still not controlled? Most of last weekend I woke up so congested and out of breath that I could barely speak. Yesterday and today I haven't been as congested waking up. I also take antihistamines for allergies.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Constant coughing

It can be but if you have a cold, that can just be it or making the asthma worse. That's one reason why an asthma action plan is important. It tells you what to do in case of a cold or other respiratory issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

I'm going to make an action plan with my doctor when I have my appointment. Earlier in the month I had a bad cold where I was sneezing and constantly blowing my nose with yellow mucus. I was severely congested then. That's what initially brought on my asthma flare up. I also have both indoor and outdoor allergies. I know all of these factors make my asthma worse. Titchou it would be good to have an action plan that I could look at and know what to do in all cases.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

Yes, coughing can be a sign that your asthma is not under control. I would suggest that if you are coughing constantly, and it is not improving at all that you should contact your dr as soon as you can. You may need to increase meds until you get back to normal. My dr told me that I should not let myself cough like that for more than 2 days before contacting him.

The Following User Says Thank You to sue430 For This Useful Post:
Trinity12 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

The albuterol seems to have helped the cough not occur as frequently. I used the avamys too. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the cough lessening since it didn't work when I took it yesterday. I think the blood pressure spike the first time I took it was because of taking an antihistamine, symbicort, albuterol(sabutamol) and avamys within a short period of time. I find if I wait quite a while after the symbicort to avamys it's fine. The cough seems to build up over time. I know it doesn't help that I have indoor allergies as well.

Closed Thread