It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
How does the weather affect your asthma?

I'm still going up and down like a yo-yo. One day I'm feeling so good I feel like I don't even need the symbicort (but I take it anyway) and the next I'm using my ventolin 2 or even 3 times as well... I'm sure it's no coincidence that yesterday was clear and sunny and about as dry as Florida gets in the Summer, and this morning is grey and raining. At this rate I'm praying for no hurricanes this year, because I think the aftermath would do me in.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How does the weather affect your asthma?

ASthma action plan should come into play whent he weather changes. You need to know - and it takes time to figure it out - what you react to and what works to ease it. When I went home to New Orleans after Katrina, I had to add some puffs of Flovent before, during and after my trip to keep from having anything happen as I might be exposed to mold and mildew from the storm. Was home for 4 days and had no problems at all. That's where you need to get....and it just takes time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

I have the same problems too with my asthma. I also live in Florida and right now I am miserable. My asthma always gets out of control as soon as Spring hits, then summer hit with the aweful humidity and forget it, just walking out to the mailbox leaves me breathless. I hate it! I wish I knew how to get it undr control. I have been 4 times now to my doctor and on Prednisone 3 times for a short burst in the last 3 months. I too feel great one day and the next I have so much throat congestion and it feels like I can't get enough air in. :-(

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

A sudden onset gray rainy day is definitely one of the worst things for my asthma. Extreme heat isn't so great either, and during the winter I have more issues with exercise.

Still, the allergy shots have made a big difference. My worst day so far this year would have been a really good day two years ago.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Really cold air bothers me and so does really hot, no wind, atmospheric inversion type. Several Augusts ago we had 12 straight days of 100 degree weather, no rain, no wind at all. That caused my chest to tighten and wake me during the night - even with the AC on! Ugh! Hope we don't get another one of those spells.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User

Hot humid weather, misty rainy weather, very windy weather, and very cold weather trigger my asthma.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

It is close to 100 degrees and humid today in PA, my asthma is definitely not happy. Trying to stay indoors in the AC as much as possible! I don't do well in extreme heat. I miss winter!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

saosue8012 HB User

After putting up with breathing issues for almost 30 years, I finally am currently undergoing tests for Asthma. Although my Dr. believes it's anxiety, the last couple of days with a Tropical Storm looming off the coast of SW FL, and especially today when the weather turned EXTREMELY humid I started in with the breathing problems. I went out of the house for a bit today, yesterday was aches and pains from the low pressure and high humidity, I didn't leave the house so the breathing wasn't too bad. So needless to say I'm anxious to get results of my tests as I don't seem to have any other symptoms relating to asthma. It's frustrating. It did seem to help when my dr. increased my anxiety meds, but have been out of them. So is the storm just a coincidence, is it asthma or just anxiety. I've been in FL for 30 years and storms don't set me into any anxiety anymore.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Very cold weather has done me in repeatedly in the past. So does stagnant weather that allows pollutants to build and bad air quality to develop.

I imagine I would have trouble with high humidity, but I've lived in a very dry climate since I developed my asthma as an adult and I haven't had any extended periods in high hot humiditiy.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
(female)

vermonsters HB User

the super dry cold aggravates mine..so does humid weather. Last week we had a heat wave and I was actually fine...today it's grey and rainy and warm and my chest feels "twitchy" like it wants to tighten up

Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

I couldn't leave the apartment today. I didn't even try over the weekend while it was so incredibly wet, but I figured this afternoon would be okay - I didn't even make it a block before I started coughing up a lung. I was coughing too much to even try to use the inhaler, so I gave up and went home again, and stopped coughing as soon as I hit the air-conditioned apartment.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaji:
Trinity12 (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User

The weather here is very hot and humid. Today we are getting many rainstorms and thunderstorms. We have yet to get the a/c in so I have been using a fan. Eventually the fan causes my asthma to flare up because it's blowing around allergens. I'll be so glad to get the a/c in. Hopefully the a/c won't bother my asthma. It hasn't before and it's better than putting up with the fan. I'm trying to get a personal best for peak flow.

Closed Thread