It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

iCadance HB UseriCadance HB UseriCadance HB User
After an asthma attack

I posted early about my asthma attack I had yesterday. This morning my chest is tight a little bit and I am coughing on and off and when I cough I am coughing stuff up. I had 4 breathing treatments yesterday could that be why I am coughing stuff up? Also how long after an attack does it take for peak flows to get back to normal when I left the hospital they where 270 last night my good number is 315. This morning it has dropped again to 240. I am just freaking out that I am going to go into another attack and I don't ever want to have to do that again. I go into see my FP today in about 3 hours and then first thing in the morning I have an appt. with my asthma Dr. I also don't want to go into a panic attack thinking I am going to have an asthma attack because I am sure that wouldn't be good.. Thanks in advance for the information and advice!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: After an asthma attack

Coughing up stuff is normal after an attack. I wouldn't be too concerned about that. However, have you used your albuterol? I would do that to tide you over. If your FP doc gives you a steroid inhaler, I'd certainly start on that. Maybe he could even consult with the asthma doc on the phone to hold you steady till the other appt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Coughing up stuff is normal after an attack. I wouldn't be too concerned about that. However, have you used your albuterol? I would do that to tide you over. If your FP doc gives you a steroid inhaler, I'd certainly start on that. Maybe he could even consult with the asthma doc on the phone to hold you steady till the other appt.
I will ask him about checking with my asthma dr. I am on Prednisone right now 60 mg a day the Dr. at the urgent care gave me enough for 5 days. I haven't taken my does for today yet I like to do that at night when my husband is home... I haven't used my inhaler today yet I have thought about it but haven't done it yet I was going to wait tell my appt. because I don't want a million treatments again today (I mean I will if I have to I seem to be ok but I have it next to me just incase it gets worse.) I have just never had an attack like this before so I am not sure if this feeling that I am having right now is just how you feel after an attack or not if that makes sense at all

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It does. But please use the rescue inhaler if you start to have any issue!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
It does. But please use the rescue inhaler if you start to have any issue!
I will I think for a min. There I was going into a panic attack thinking I was going to have another asthma attack but I feel pretty good right now. But I am making sure to not be running around like crazy today and just take it easy at least until after my dr appt. as a mom I can only take it so easy tell the husband gets home

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It takes a while for lungs to fully recover from a severe attack like the one you had, sometimes several weeks.

During this time, your peak flows will be lower, and you may have minor attacks. You'll need to take it easy and be extra careful to avoid anything that tends to trigger your asthma, such as smoke, extreme temperatures, dust, or pollen. And you may need to use your rescue inhaler every day or even a few times during the day.

Definitely follow up with your doctor until you get this flare under control. Maybe this was a onetime thing, maybe you'll need to stay on a daily medicine. I take Flovent every day. I have no side effects, and it helps my lungs a lot.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It takes a while for lungs to fully recover from a severe attack like the one you had, sometimes several weeks.

During this time, your peak flows will be lower, and you may have minor attacks. You'll need to take it easy and be extra careful to avoid anything that tends to trigger your asthma, such as smoke, extreme temperatures, dust, or pollen. And you may need to use your rescue inhaler every day or even a few times during the day.

Definitely follow up with your doctor until you get this flare under control. Maybe this was a onetime thing, maybe you'll need to stay on a daily medicine. I take Flovent every day. I have no side effects, and it helps my lungs a lot.
I just had an appt. with my FP and he did another treatment and it opened me up so much my peak flow even went up to about 330 which is great and I am not tight anymore like I was earlier today. I have an appt. with my allergist/asthma Dr. tomorrow and will be getting a bunch of allergy testing done I haven't had any done so I am not sure really besides dust, smoke and cold what my triggers are so we will find this stuff all out tomorrow. My FP gave me a steroid inhaler and told me I will use it in the morning and night with two puffs each time but to finish the prednisone that I was given last night before starting this inhaler and to show my asthma Dr. it and make sure it is one that he would want me on.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

After I had my bad attack, it took a week or two to feel normal. For a few days afterwards I was told to use my rescue inhaler every 4-6 hours to keep things open. Don't be afraid to use it if you feel you need to, your lungs will take some time to recover. I also cough stuff up after I have an attack. So don't worry, what you are feeling is normal.

The steroid inhaler will take a couple weeks to start working, so don't panic if it takes a little while.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Souns like you are moving in the right direction. Let us know what the doctor says tomorrow. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Keep your rescue inhaler close at hand and don't be afraid to use it in the next week or so... it takes time for your lungs to recover from a bad attack and you don't want to end up back in the ER because you didn't take enough meds at home.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Souns like you are moving in the right direction. Let us know what the doctor says tomorrow. Good luck!
I never thought I would get this bad because I have never had a problem with it in the 9 years I have had it. I am so glad that my FP is willing to say I think you need to go back to your asthma Dr. due to what has happened makes me feel like he really is looking out for me!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajikit View Post
Keep your rescue inhaler close at hand and don't be afraid to use it in the next week or so... it takes time for your lungs to recover from a bad attack and you don't want to end up back in the ER because you didn't take enough meds at home.
My problem is really knowing when I should use it. I think I am getting the hang of it in the last couple days. My dr did get a little mad and said I should have gone into the ER sooner then I did however I started treatment right away. My husband used to think I was crazy to always have my inhaler with me because I haven't used it in 2 years. But this year has been very different. And as I think back there where a lot more times I should have used my inhaler. There are times where I wake up gasping for air in the night and it happens most of the rest of the night but it just never clicked in my head. But that is all changing I have so many questions for my asthma dr today to make sure I keep this under control.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

I know what you mean... it's difficult to tell exactly how bad off you are when an attack starts when you don't have the experience. Talk to your doctor about exactly how often/when you should medicate yourself, and remember, while overdosing on your meds is never a good idea, the earlier in an attack you take them, the more effective they'll be. If you arrest the wheeze when it starts, your lungs won't keep on getting more and more irritated and inflamed to make it worse.

I know you're on prednisone, but did you get given a daily inhaler to use yet? If not, you'll probably need one.

Rule of thumb - if your basic albuterol treatment is NOT WORKING at the highest dose your doctor prescribed, or if it wears off in less than two hours, don't wait. Go to the ER sooner rather than later. If you wait until you're turning blue, you are desperately ill.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajikit View Post
I know what you mean... it's difficult to tell exactly how bad off you are when an attack starts when you don't have the experience. Talk to your doctor about exactly how often/when you should medicate yourself, and remember, while overdosing on your meds is never a good idea, the earlier in an attack you take them, the more effective they'll be. If you arrest the wheeze when it starts, your lungs won't keep on getting more and more irritated and inflamed to make it worse.

I know you're on prednisone, but did you get given a daily inhaler to use yet? If not, you'll probably need one.

Rule of thumb - if your basic albuterol treatment is NOT WORKING at the highest dose your doctor prescribed, or if it wears off in less than two hours, don't wait. Go to the ER sooner rather than later. If you wait until you're turning blue, you are desperately ill.
My FP gave me a inhaler steroid yesterday when I went and saw him and said to show it to my asthma Dr. today but not to start it unless he wants me to and to wait to start it until after the prednisone is gone. Now I think I waited to long to get to the ER however I called the nurse and went to urgent care the Dr. at urgent care said to give it an hour or so after taking the steroids to give them time to work so I did then I called the on call asthma Dr. and he said to go in after getting there is when I realized that I was really bad and most likely should have gone in earlier which I almost did but decided to go to the urgent care instead. But now I know better and I hope to be getting more education on everything today along with a action plan on when to do things and when an ER visit is needed..

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Good luck!

Closed Thread