It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
(male)

Rick7348 HB User
Albuterol Won't Let Me Sleep

I took two puffs for my wheezing but whenever I lay down to try to sleep, I get this feeling of butterflies in my stomach and it prevents me from being able to sleep. Does anybody know what this is?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Albuterol Won't Let Me Sleep

Albuterol is an "upper." This is a normal side effect of the med. If you are new to it, please know that eventually your body adjusts to the albuterol and you won't experience this as strongly.

Try to do your albuterol a half hour or so before bedtime so that the effect isn't as strong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

It's perfectly normal, for the same reason that it makes your heart beat faster (which some people notice). Taking ventolin gets your adrenalin going and that makes you wakeful. The effect should wear off fairly soon, and you get used to it over time. I've been using ventolin in the evening for the last few months, and at first I was up for two hours after I took it at night... then I was able to sleep after an hour, and the last few times I haven't even gotten out of bed.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely a common side effect, and it does decrease once your body gets used to the medicine.

For me, one puff is usually enough. Next time, try taking just one puff, then waiting about 5 minutes. If your lungs are still tight, use the second one.

Closed Thread