It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

Junip1977 HB User
Anyone else get weird symptoms?

Hi everyone,

I have had asthma now for a few years but it has always been very mild. When I was first diagnosed it took forever to figure out what it was. At first my doctor thought I had a problem with my heart because my heart rate was so fast, so I under went all these tests and everything came back fine. They put me on a Beta Blocker and things got worse. Finally I went to an asthma doctor because someone suggested it and sure enough that was what was wrong with me. I started on treatment and immediately felt so much better. Now it seems every Spring I get flare ups. My question is, I don't and have never gotten the "usual" symptoms of asthma. I always get clearing of the throat and my heart rate speeds up. Becuase of this I am never really sure if I am having an attack so I never know when to use my rescue inhaler. I am sure my doc thinks I'm an idiot. I sometimes feel breathless just bending over to pick something up or walking a short distance. I am prone to anxiety so I often wonder if this causes my symptoms. Anyways, does anyone else get any of these symptoms? It makes it so hard to decide if I need medicine or if I am just panicking. I wish my doctor would prescribe me a peak flow meter so I would know when to treat.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Anyone else get weird symptoms?

Do you go to a pulmo or allergist? Am surprised he won't just give you a peak flow meter. Mine did. Have you asked? And do you have an asthma action plan? You may need a different med during the season or you may need to add something like Singulair during this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

No I see an Allergist/Immunologist. I have never actually asked him but I have told him several times I can't tell when I really need to use my rescue. I guess I will just ask him next time. Can you just buy one? I am already on Singulair. I take Singulair, Allegra, Dulera and Xoponex(?). The Dulera is new for me, just started on it 3 weeks ago but honestly haven't seen much improvement yet. I used to take Symbiocort which I loved but it stopped working for me. :-(

Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Maybe you need to switch your allergy med to zyrtec or claritin. Sometime one will quit working. You might also keep a journal so you can try to track when things get out of control. As for the peak flow meter, don't know why you can't just buy one. I've never looked because they gave me mine at the doctor's office.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

When I asked my dr that question about when to use my rescue inhaler he told me that if I was having any symptoms, to use the rescue & if it helped, I would know in the future to use it again if I felt that way. He told me that I wasn't using it enough basically, so not to worry about overusing it. You don't need to be having a full blown attack to use it, if you are having symptoms, give it a try and see what happens. I took his advice and found it immensely helpful. Just be sure that if you find that your are needing it a lot, you need to keep the dr in the loop about that also.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
(female)

Lorib514 HB User

My heart rate goes up too, as high as 125. when you are short of breath everything works harder to get oxygen. I use my rescue inhaler at the first sign of symptoms. For me that means a yawning attack followed by coughing, usually the SOB doesn't come until after these early symptoms and if I don't use my inhaler at the first sign they will progress.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

Thanks just wanted to make sure that was normal. LOL I do try to be very conscious of how I feel after I take my medicines, but sometimes it seems like my rescue inhaler just didn't work or takes forever to work, which then makes me wonder maybe I wasn't needing it? I might try what one of you suggested and switch to Zyrtec and see if that makes a difference. :-) Thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

You don't need a prescription for a peak flow meter. You can buy one at your local pharmacy. I bought mine online from Amazon.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeezerWheezer View Post
You don't need a prescription for a peak flow meter. You can buy one at your local pharmacy. I bought mine online from Amazon.
Awesome, thank you for the information! :-)

Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junip1977 View Post
Awesome, thank you for the information! :-)
You're welcome! I have anxiety sometimes too and my peak flow meter can help me determine the difference between asthma and anxiety. They can sometimes feel very similar. Then after awhile, you'll be able to tell the difference on your own.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeezerWheezer View Post
You're welcome! I have anxiety sometimes too and my peak flow meter can help me determine the difference between asthma and anxiety. They can sometimes feel very similar. Then after awhile, you'll be able to tell the difference on your own.
Ordered my peak flow meter yesterday! Can't wait for it to come because I feel like I am going out of my mind sometimes. LOL Thanks again! :-)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junip1977 View Post
Ordered my peak flow meter yesterday! Can't wait for it to come because I feel like I am going out of my mind sometimes. LOL Thanks again! :-)
Haha- you are not alone!

Closed Thread