It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

Lorib514 HB User
air purifier?

are these worth investing in if I don't have allergic asthma? I'm wondering if it's only beneficial with allergies? I have moderate uncontrolled asthma but no allergies.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: air purifier?

Asthma is generally caused by allergies, so it is likely you have some that you don't know about, typically the things you inhale like dust, pollens, molds, animal dander, etc.
I think the air purifiers are helpful and the best are the ones with an actual filter you can take out and wash and reuse. Get one that filters microparticles. I have asthma and use one and am always amazed at the amount of dust and pollen is on the filter when I clean it. I don't have animals, keep my house clean, but the pollen is thick where I live. It is particularly helpful to run it all night while you sleep. National Jewish Hospital in Denver is a wonderful resource for asthmatics as far as information on ways to control allergies/asthma. You can find them on the internet and call toll free and talk to a nurse.
You might consider getting some allergy testing done to find out what you are sensitive to, so you can avoid those things that are avoidable.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Lorib514 (06-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
(female)

Lorib514 HB User

I actually did have allergy testing done and I was only mildly allergic to one particular tree, I had the IgE blood testing done too and that turned out negative for allergies. I do live in the Central Valley of CA which has one of the worst air quality and heavy farm fields which means lots of pesticides and spraying. They don't test for things like environmental pollutants so I'm guessing that's my main problem.

It's odd because I tested 0 for allergic reaction to dogs but when we let our dog in the house I had an attack and when we visited a friend with two dogs in the home I had an attack at their house. I'm a bit confused at the whole allergy aspect, even my allergist was confused because he said he doesn't normally see the amount of symptoms I'm experiencing and negative allergy tests. My pulmologist is still trying to figure it out.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It might be worthwhile to repeat those allergy blood tests if has been awhile since they were originally done. It might show something more this time, but your point about the air pollution is a good one. It happens rarely that labs make mistakes with tubes of blood, and repeating them would take care of any chance that your results were in error.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I think an air purifier might help with or without allergies. It can remove smoke, smog and other junk.

It's best to get a HEPA filter. As long as it says HEPA on the package and is rated for a room as big as your bedroom, it's probably a good one.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

Lorib514 HB User

I am hopeful it will help with the air. We went camping at the coast for the weekend and I was symptom free, it felt so good to breathe normal and I had so much more energy! Now I'm back and already coughing up mucus and my chest feels tight and burns. My husband ordered one and it should be here by the end of the week, man this stinks living like this!

Closed Thread