It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Now I DON'T have asthma?

I saw the pulmonologist today, and he says that my PFT and spirometry were totally normal, so I don't have asthma or COPD. I'd wondered how I could have gone from very occasional, very mild asthma to something much worse so quickly in the first place... he's going to do some more tests to rule stuff out, but basically he has no clue what's going on with my health. Maybe I've just been incredibly unlucky this year to have five respiratory infections in six months and there's nothing physically wrong with my lungs at all... in the meantime I feel pretty hopeless. Not to mention tired, short of breath and so far from my normal self that I can't even remember what it felt like. I haven't sung with the choir since Easter and it's July now!

I asked him what to do about the symbicort that's making me shaky and messing with my heart rate... he says that since it's helping my breathing that I should continue it. But what's the point in taking asthma meds if I don't have asthma???? I had to stop and use my ventolin on the way out of the hospital because the lift was full of perfume and I couldn't walk down the corridor without panting after breathing it in. Maybe it's all just in my head after all.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaji:
MountainReader (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Now I DON'T have asthma?

Well, it could be that the medicine is working, which is why your breathing tests look normal. Or, it could be that you have very mild asthma plus other things, which is probably my situation. I THOUGHT that my major trigger was allergies, but once I actually controlled my reflux, my asthma resolved 90% and no longer interferes with my life much.

Have you ever had a methacholine challenge? Has the pulmo ever done PFT before and after a dose of albuterol? Those are more definitive tests for asthma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

My breathing tests are in the normal range too, but my Dr said that's because my meds are working.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Except that I'm still coughing every day and short of breath when I exert myself. I probably have the usual mild asthma I've always had, plus something else - the question is, what that 'something else' is. It's not allergies... They're going to look for a pulmonary embolism. I wouldn't have thought it was very likely, but looking it up it's possible I could have had one and not known.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
(female)

Lorib514 HB User

Reflux could also cause coughing and shortness of breath so can post nasal drip. I have asthma, reflux, and chronic rhinitis due to a deviated septum so it's sometimes hard to tell which condition is acting up. Have you been checked for reflux? My PFT showed asthma and still even with meds I'm struggling so I'm not sure if meds can make the test go back to normal like that?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I agree with all the above suggestions of reflux, post nasal drip, etc.

Having asthma and after having so many infections, one's lungs can be in an extremely twitchy state or reactive airway disease, which is in combo with the asthma.

Anxiety and hyperventilation as well as smells, etc can cause a reaction...

One suggestion, actually....use a facial mask for a bit during the day and see if you improve somewhat. It's a fact that if you are feeling that you need your ventolin/inhaler, but you're not having restriction or a lowered peak flow, that it could be excessive oxygen and a lowering carbon dioxide in your system. See if even holding your hands over your mouth and rebreathing in your own breath helps.

I hope the doctor will be doing more testing.

Please try to not use the ventolin as often, that can also set you up for other problems.

q

Closed Thread