It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

emt0820 HB User
Has anyone had problems with their ICS causing indigestion! Can they cause this?

Hi
I'm on Alvesco with is a fairly new ICS. My dr. switched me from Asmanex to this Steriod inhaler. Not sure why except Asmanex gave me thrush which i could handle. My question to any out there. I have been using Alvesco for alittle over a month and i have developed bad indigestion. I already have Acid reflux but this is worse. Even hurts in my throat. Also naseua. So my gastro dr. did an EDG yesterday and it came back fine. Some irritation but thats about it. Its just strange that i started having all this when i started this new med. I have never heard of ICS'S causing indigestion. Has anyone else had this problem or even heard of it. I already take Nexium and now zantac. We are gonna do somemore testing but like i said,,i just wanted to rule out that this ICS isn't the problem....thanks everyone!!!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Has anyone had problems with their ICS causing indigestion! Can they cause this?

Hi,
First of all regarding the Asthma medication and Thrush. There is an object called "Volumatic Spacer Device" which you attatch to your Inhaler and will prevent "Thrush" in the throat, I use it myself.
Secondly I have been an Asthmatic for over 40 yrs and have never experienced Indegestion with any of my Inhalers, been using "SEROTIDE" for some years now.
I have used NEXIUM because I have had Ulcers and found that I suffered Indegestion whilst taking that, so that could be your problem unless someone else tells you differently.
Hope this helps and good luck,

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

emt0820 HB User
Re: Has anyone had problems with their ICS causing indigestion! Can they cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,
First of all regarding the Asthma medication and Thrush. There is an object called "Volumatic Spacer Device" which you attatch to your Inhaler and will prevent "Thrush" in the throat, I use it myself.
Secondly I have been an Asthmatic for over 40 yrs and have never experienced Indegestion with any of my Inhalers, been using "SEROTIDE" for some years now.
I have used NEXIUM because I have had Ulcers and found that I suffered Indegestion whilst taking that, so that could be your problem unless someone else tells you differently.
Hope this helps and good luck,

Solofelix.
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't think we have Serotide here in the United States. Anyway, i use a spacer with Alvesco but the Asmanex is like a twisthaler to you can't use a spacer with it. And i'm beginning to think you are right about the Nexium causing me indigestion. I think drs give us way to many drugs to take. Actually my gastro dr. told me to stop taking the Nexium for about a week and see how i felt so there must be something to that. I didn't think it was my ICS but you never know,,i just had to ask..
Thanks again and have a great day!!

Closed Thread