i was diagnosed with asthma a year ago, first i was given a ventolin inhaler and a month later they added in clenil
3 months ago i picked up a chest infection that set my asthma off badly and the out of hours gp called an ambulance. its proved very difficult to treat and ive had 3 courses of different antibiotics so far and still im waking up fighting to breath and coughing for ages to clear lumps of stuff off my chest, the only thing giving me some relief is the clenil inhaler, i take it along with my ventolin and it helps my chest to clear a little
now my regular doctor has decided to stop my clenil ( preventer ) inhaler all together
ive gone a week without it now and my usage of ventolin is thru the roof and im coughing and struggling to clear my chest all day and night, im exausted
she just told me it wasnt necisarry and to just keep taking the reliever up to 10 puffs at a time
i always thought the preventer was quite important, certainly my daughters respiratory consultant would be horrified if my daughter wasnt given hers, she spent her first year in hospital trying not to die and has it via a nebulisers when needs be
I'd find another doctor. One more familiar with asthma. You don't need to be taking your rescue inhaler just because you can. I have mild asthma and only do 1 puff of Flovent per day in the evenings. but when I forgot to order it and was without for two weeks, all the albuterol in the world couldn't control the flare I was having. I'd find another pulmo.
Current guidelines say that almost everyone with asthma should be on a preventer, except people with asthma so mild they rarely need any treatment at all. You're still recovering from that infection, of course you need your preventer.
And don't take 10 puffs at a time! If the first few don't work, seek emergency treatment.
Definitely, see a pulmonologist. If the doctor who treated your chest infection knew you'd been taken off Clenil while still recovering, HE'D be horrified.
still cant get the regular doctors to give me back my preventer inhaler. ive switched to a different doctor and im currently on my 6th course of antibiotics, but i still cant get them to give me it back
booked in to see a consultant at the hospital next week and i will be begging them for help
The following user gives a hug of support to kayasmum: MountainReader (09-21-2012)