It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

kayasmum HB User
puzzled

i was diagnosed with asthma a year ago, first i was given a ventolin inhaler and a month later they added in clenil

3 months ago i picked up a chest infection that set my asthma off badly and the out of hours gp called an ambulance. its proved very difficult to treat and ive had 3 courses of different antibiotics so far and still im waking up fighting to breath and coughing for ages to clear lumps of stuff off my chest, the only thing giving me some relief is the clenil inhaler, i take it along with my ventolin and it helps my chest to clear a little

now my regular doctor has decided to stop my clenil ( preventer ) inhaler all together

ive gone a week without it now and my usage of ventolin is thru the roof and im coughing and struggling to clear my chest all day and night, im exausted

i just dont know what to do, please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: puzzled

Need a little more information. Why did he take you off the daily med? What is his plan for your asthma without it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

kayasmum HB User

she just told me it wasnt necisarry and to just keep taking the reliever up to 10 puffs at a time

i always thought the preventer was quite important, certainly my daughters respiratory consultant would be horrified if my daughter wasnt given hers, she spent her first year in hospital trying not to die and has it via a nebulisers when needs be

is it because my asthmas a milder version maybe?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd find another doctor. One more familiar with asthma. You don't need to be taking your rescue inhaler just because you can. I have mild asthma and only do 1 puff of Flovent per day in the evenings. but when I forgot to order it and was without for two weeks, all the albuterol in the world couldn't control the flare I was having. I'd find another pulmo.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Current guidelines say that almost everyone with asthma should be on a preventer, except people with asthma so mild they rarely need any treatment at all. You're still recovering from that infection, of course you need your preventer.

And don't take 10 puffs at a time! If the first few don't work, seek emergency treatment.

Definitely, see a pulmonologist. If the doctor who treated your chest infection knew you'd been taken off Clenil while still recovering, HE'D be horrified.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
(female)

kayasmum HB User

still cant get the regular doctors to give me back my preventer inhaler. ive switched to a different doctor and im currently on my 6th course of antibiotics, but i still cant get them to give me it back

booked in to see a consultant at the hospital next week and i will be begging them for help

The following user gives a hug of support to kayasmum:
MountainReader (09-21-2012)
Closed Thread