It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Question Pneumonia Vaccine

My doctor wants me to get the Pneumonia Vaccine. It is given to people with asthma, and other health issues that weaken the immune system, as well as seniors.

Has anyone had this? Were there any side effects?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Pneumonia Vaccine

Hi,
I am an Asthmatic (40) yrs and have had the Pneumonia Injection twice.
I get the Flu-Injection every October and have had the Pnuemonia one twice. I'm not sure but I believe I was told it lasts for five yrs in older people.
I have had NO problems with it and infact welcome anything that will help with respretory
problems.
Hope this helps,

Solofelix.

The following user gives a hug of support to solofelix:
SOE (08-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
SOE (08-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you very much, Solofelix! I really appreciate your speedy response!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm currently seeing an incredibly good Pulmonologist. At my first visit, he did a through review of my health and health history. When he found out I hadn't had a Pneumonia shot, he actually started lecturing me on the importance of the shot for asthmatics. It isn't recommended if you are allergic to horses though, which I am, so I can't share any side effects with you.

I do get yearly flu shots though with no problems.

I wish you well.

MountainReader

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
SOE (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

Lorib514 HB User

My Pulmonologist gave it to me too, he said everyone with asthma needs to get it. No side effects except for a pretty sore arm for 2 days

The Following User Says Thank You to Lorib514 For This Useful Post:
SOE (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

I've had two pulmonologists (the first one retired) and neither one has ever suggested it. My regular doctor suggested it because I am recovering from mono and I also get a lot of respiratory infections.

I'm going away next weekend and I was afraid if I got the vaccine, I might get sick -- because my immune system is so weak.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I honestly dont think you will get sick.
As I said I had no effects afterwards and if it helps it really is the simpliest injection, I never even felt it. If you are really concerned you could put it of until after your trip. I dont get mine until Oct anyhow.
Have a great trip!!...

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
SOE (08-24-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I'm currently seeing an incredibly good Pulmonologist. At my first visit, he did a through review of my health and health history. When he found out I hadn't had a Pneumonia shot, he actually started lecturing me on the importance of the shot for asthmatics. It isn't recommended if you are allergic to horses though, which I am, so I can't share any side effects with you.

I do get yearly flu shots though with no problems.

I wish you well.

MountainReader
Do you know why people who are allergic to horses shouldn't get it? My PCP wanted me to get it but I never got around it and I'm allergic to horses. (I'm allergic to every animal on Earth)

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

All I know is that he told me I'd be allergic to some component to the immunization. I've tried researching it on the internet, but can't find much information to find out if it is made using horse serum. I'm assuming it could be a possibility.

It was over 4 years ago when I had this conversation. I do know he reminds me not to get the shot at my yearly visits now though.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
(male)

branfeld HB Userbranfeld HB User

I got my first pneumonia shot in 1997 and the follow-up booster in 2011. The two doses are supposed to take care of you for life. I didn't have any reaction or problems with it, but I'm also not allergic to horses.

The Following User Says Thank You to branfeld For This Useful Post:
SOE (09-15-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I finally got the vaccine. Other than my arm being sore (I could not sleep on that side for 2 nights), I had no side effects.

Closed Thread