It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

klynn1960 HB Userklynn1960 HB User
colds with asthma

I find it so hard on my asthma when I have a cold which I am dealing with right
now. I am hoping it does not get too bad because I have been taking alot less prednisone latley. I find the xolair has finally helped me but I still do have some
asthma attacks.

Any comments??

Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: colds with asthma

I'm right there with you. Colds are often a trigger for asthma. I usually just up my asthma treatment during the period, even when my asthma isn't too bad, just in case. I guess in general, it is about following your asthma action plan. In cases like that, I often end up paying a visit to my doctor sooner rather than waiting to see how things play out since things can so easily flare. Flares can take me up to a couple months to get back under control at times. My Pulmonologist wants me to reserve the Prednisone for extremely severe issues, I find it hard to let it get that bad though.

I think everyone has their own cold-coping strategies. I assume you are already doing that though.

How long has it been now on the Xolair? I have yet to meet someone who is actively receiving the treatments to share experiences over time. I'm a bit over 2 years into my treatment and I've found the Xolair to have worked miracles for me. My Pulmonologist actually told me I was his most improved patient ever. Xolair played a significant part in that. The ironic thing is that he said I didn't qualify for it and it was my ENT/Allergist who pushed to get me on the Xolair "off label".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
(female)

Hi MountainReader

I have been on xolair since Feb 2011 and since late last year my asthma has improved alot.
I find when I get a cold it just wipes me out but lately I am keeping out of the hospital when I catch one.
I am going to the doctor today because I agree with you it's better to get it checked early than wait until it gets worse.

I do up my medications but sometimes the only thing that works is prednisone.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi klynn,

Hope you are feeling better.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

Hi Mountain Reader

I am feeling better than I was and I did not have to go on prednisone.
I have found through the clinic I get my xolair there are many people
that have had their asthma improve by getting xolair injections.

I hope you are doing well with your asthma.
Where I am the weather change really bothers my asthma.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Glad to hear you didn't have to go on steroids.

My asthma has been great overall. I had to pull out my inhaler on Wednesday though and have still been using it regularly. We had a cold front bring in smoke from Idaho wildfires. Then the air front stalled out and all the smoke has been hanging over our valleys. We've had red air quality. My lungs always tell me that before the news though. I'm hoping to get through it without going back on my Advair though. We are supposed to get rain early next week.

My fall allergies used to be horrible. The Xolair has boosted the effectiveness of the Xolair so much that my seasonal allergies have been very mild. Mostly, I've had the gritty eye thing going on.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
(female)

meagan135 HB User

Ah yes, COLDS. My enemy! I do everything I can to avoid them, because it seems to go right into my lungs, in attack mode!

I usually only take my advair once a day, but as soon as I get a cold, I take it twice a day. Now I have learned that at the first sign of a cough, I will get prednisone. If the cough gets worse, I take it immediately. I hate being on it, but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

So for me, the key is acting early when the coughing starts. I also make sure I get enough rest, and monitor my peak flow readings. This summer I got a God-awful illness. It started out with a cough, but ended up like a cold, but with a slight fever. My peak flow was cut in half! So I use it to really monitor how I'm doing. But yes, colds do the same thing to me.

I do hope you feel better soon!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
(female)

meagan135 HB User

Ah yes, COLDS. My enemy! I do everything I can to avoid them, because it seems to go right into my lungs, in attack mode!

I usually only take my advair once a day, but as soon as I get a cold, I take it twice a day. Now I have learned that at the first sign of a cough, I will get prednisone. If the cough gets worse, I take it immediately. I hate being on it, but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

So for me, the key is acting early when the coughing starts. I also make sure I get enough rest, and monitor my peak flow readings. This summer I got a God-awful illness. It started out with a cough, but ended up like a cold, but with a slight fever. My peak flow was cut in half! So I use it to really monitor how I'm doing whenever I'm sick, take all my meds, and act early w/ prednisone or antibiotics if I seem to have an infection. But yes, colds do the same thing to me.

I do hope you feel better soon!

The following user gives a hug of support to meagan135:
MountainReader (10-18-2012)
Closed Thread